1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu - Printer Driver

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Tugger12, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tugger12

Tugger12 Thread Starter

Hi, does anybody know how to amend the printer driver within Ubuntu (running off the CD, not installed) ? Mine is currently defaulted to 'Generic Printer' which does not work. Doesn't appear to give me the option to change or select different printers ?

2. rbees

rbees

Couple things come to mind.

1. You may need root permissions to add a printer.

2. There is a web interface to cups (common unix printing system) you would get to it by entering something like localhost:631 in the address bar of a browser, if it is installed that is. You may also need root here too.

I am not really aquainted with ubuntu. I use full blown Debian Testing. What version of Ubuntu?

3. Tugger12

Tugger12 Thread Starter

Thanks, it's Ubuntu 10.10 I'm using (booting off the disc, not the installed version)

Any ideas ?

4. rbees

rbees

I have downloaded 10.10 and have in running in a vm. Yes the above does work. Also at the top of the screen there is a button for "System". There is a printer manager in there. One thing you need to bear in mind is that because you are running in a temporary environment any changes you make will not be saved through a reboot.

I tried to add a printer and it seemed to work for me. But all my printers are networked and I am running in a vm so the printers were not detected. That means that I would have to have the actual name/ip of the printer to actually install it.

Either of the two above methods should serve your purpose.

5. rbees

rbees

Click System > Administration > Printing

Click Add

From there you are on your own. I don't have any local printers so I can't help unless you have a networked printer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice