1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu to Windows XP installation....

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by webzter, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

Hello;

I currently have Ubuntu 5.10 on one of my kids laptops, but her school keeps giving her windows-only apps and we need to get her back to Windows XP. I purchased a new, legitimate copy of XP and would like to know the degree of difficulty involved in making such an installation from Ubuntu to XP?

Many thanks in advance...
    Webz

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Very easy. Boot from the XP CD, remove all partitions and create a new one when the option appears, and install.

If XP has any problem removing the Ext2FS partitions, use a simple, bootable partition manager to remove them.

Parted Magic
    Paragon Partition Manager 8.5-- PPM Special Edition serial and free registration
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)

You may need some drivers for hardware after installation. Unless the machine is some true oddball, they should be easy to find, possibly all in one place on the manufacturer's website if it was sold with XP at any time.

3. webzter

webzter Thread Starter

appreciate the reply Elvandil, thank you! I'll give it a shot tomorrow, and if I may, return with any issues I run into or create (which will most likely be the case!) Thanks again!
    Webz

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The good thing is that when you are installing, you don't have anything on the machine to lose, so it's easy to just start over. :D

5. rob.rice

rob.rice

you could also install wine and run the windoze apps on linux

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice