Ubuntu to Windows XP installation....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

webzter

Hello;

I currently have Ubuntu 5.10 on one of my kids laptops, but her school keeps giving her windows-only apps and we need to get her back to Windows XP. I purchased a new, legitimate copy of XP and would like to know the degree of difficulty involved in making such an installation from Ubuntu to XP?

Many thanks in advance...
Webz

Very easy. Boot from the XP CD, remove all partitions and create a new one when the option appears, and install.

If XP has any problem removing the Ext2FS partitions, use a simple, bootable partition manager to remove them.

Parted Magic
Paragon Partition Manager 8.5-- PPM Special Edition serial and free registration
CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)

You may need some drivers for hardware after installation. Unless the machine is some true oddball, they should be easy to find, possibly all in one place on the manufacturer's website if it was sold with XP at any time.

webzter

appreciate the reply Elvandil, thank you! I'll give it a shot tomorrow, and if I may, return with any issues I run into or create (which will most likely be the case!) Thanks again!
Webz

The good thing is that when you are installing, you don't have anything on the machine to lose, so it's easy to just start over. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online