Ubuntu update from 16.10 to 18.04 broke the system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Firedrops

Haven't touched this laptop in a while, so when I did, I updated it (from 16.10) to the most recent LTS (18.04) from the GUI prompt.

It is a dual-booting Windows 10/Ubuntu system.

I now have the purple background 5 dots ubuntu 'boot screen' for like 2 seconds, then it goes into a command line mode and get stuck at
`/dev/nvme0n1p7: clean, 291381/1324512 files, 3883511/5297920 blocks` after selecting Ubuntu in GRUB.

1. I saw some other users fix by purging nvidia drivers, which my system does not have (no nvidia GPU, tried it anyway, just listed 0 installed, 0 removed etc.)
  2. Also tried the [`nomodeset` method], which also did not work, I just get stuck in Grub after pressing `ctrl-X` with the text all gone.
  3. Saw some others suggest sudo apt update, to which I got these:
`Failed to fetch http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/InRelease Could not resolve 'au.archive.ubuntu.com' and similar 5 other lines, with the last one being cannot resolve 'dl.google.com'.`​
4. Thinking it might my internet not connecting, I tried `ifconfig wlan 0`, to which I get `device not found`.

Does anyone know what I can do to get back into my system?

When you say you want to get back into your system, do you mean you cannot get back even into Windows? Or just Ubuntu ?

Firedrops

Just Ubuntu. Windows side still works fine, including choosing it in GRUB normally.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online