1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by techno_lust, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techno_lust

techno_lust Thread Starter

Well, I don't know how I made it all happen but I actually downloaded Ubuntu and burned an ISO image and then loaded it onto the HD of an old pc that was gathering dust.

Pretty much everything worked without any meddling by me, I am using it as I write this. I am a little nervous though as I don't have the security apps I am use to with windows to warn me of problems. I have no idea if this thing is configured for safe surfing or not.

The only issue I have at this point is that although it updated itself with 160 updates durring the installation, it is showing firefox as being version 1.5.0.5 and I see there is a newer version available. I downloaded it to the desktop but I don't understand how to make it update itself

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

You don't need an anti-virus, unless you are sharing files across a network with Windows on it.

For a firewall, you can use a GUI frontend like Guarddog or Firestarter.

Firefox 1.5.0.5 is apparently the latest stable version offered on the Ubuntu repositories. If you want a newer version, you'll have to install it "by hand".

3. andmalc

andmalc

Prunejuice is right about anti-virus.

As a home user, forget about security issues while you're learning, especially if you're behind a broadband router. If you were running an always-on server and/or you're directly on the net then firewalls and other security tools would be called for.

Stick with what's available in Synaptic for now. If you try to get into downloading and compiling other software you'll get hung up on complexities you don't whant to be thinking about as a newbie.

Instead, read the documentation starting here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/

4. techno_lust

techno_lust Thread Starter

Thanks for the imput everyone.

5. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Just got mine 2 weeks ago (y)
    http://i4.tinypic.com/23t2vih.jpg

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice