UDF versions & packet writing software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

armly

With Dragon disk, which enables pcs without the package to read the written files, and offering formatting versions of:

UDF 1.5 (supported by InCD as well -- so at least disks created with DD read by InCD)
UDF 2.00
UDF 2.50
UDF 2.60

InCD aside, what is the best UDF version to write with?

Priorities are that most modern
CD/DVD drives may read the disk, and that it remains stable.

If you want all PC's to read the disk, you should not go with UDF. Only machines with installed UDF drivers can read them. Though there is now a file system workaround where the disk is read as an is even though it is still UDF. Why is ISO not possible?

The version numbers represent the historical progression. The highest number is the version that most modern machines can read.

Is there some reason that "drag-and-drop" is needed?

armly

Dragon Disk says any pc can read the disk without software installed.

Why is ISO not possible?
If XP/XPpro ships with ISO - I cannot write with this, had constantly shut down and errorred as I recall. Though it was with CD-RW and not CD-R.

Maybe requiring too many tracks (Outlook backups from Outback application which does so from different locations at once, for example) or maybe not -- who knows. All I know is that I couldn't get it to work with a number of different kinds of writes.

Well, just for your information, UDF 2.01 is supposed to be readable "as an ISO". In other words, when the session is closed, additional data is written to the drive so that the file system can be accessed "as if" it were in ISO format. That is the main reason for the change to the new UDF format. The old UDF drivers caused all sorts of havoc.

Vista's new "Live File System" that is built in and allows dragging and dropping of files is UDF 2.01. That should give you an idea of what MS at least considers the reliable and stable version. If you make disks in 2.01, they are readable for sure in XP and above.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online