1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UDP Flood - The problem with my interenet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zwound, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zwound

zwound Thread Starter

MY internet has been painfully slow of late and I managed to finally get inside the brain of my wifi router. I checked the log and noticed lots and lots of UDP Flood attack reports from many different IP addresses. Can someone tell me what this means and if it could be the reason my internet seems to be 5 times slower than usual? A

Also, is there anything I can do? I have a D-Link router.

Thanks!

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If your logs indicate dozens of incoming and outgoing connections to/from IP addresses all over the world; suspect P2P software on the computer like Napster, Azureus, Limewire, Bearshare and the like. And logging software interprets it a a flood attack... because your computer is accessed so much over a short period of time... it becomes slow.

Do you have any P2P software running that you know of?

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It's not just the computer being affected if in fact it really is being affected by the UDP floods. It's more the router itself. UDP is a connectionless protocol. As such it is not a connection oriented session like TCP where there are SYN/ACK/FINs being sent back and forth. So what happens on a firewall is any UDP session started by an internal client to a destination, a rule is set up on the firewall saying allow return UDP traffic for a certain amount of time. Some firewalls default at 2 minutes to ensure there is ample time to allow a return response. If a flood of UDP traffic is being generated, the firewall has to keep track of all these UDP sessions which then causes memory usage to shoot up along with processor utilization. This is what causes internet access to slow down to a crawl.

There was another thread discussing the same exact issue. Unless there is something you're dying to get via P2P, I avoid this crap like the plague. Even if there is something you need to get via P2P services, I would only run it once to get what I need and then de-install the junk. This is why corporations don't allow P2P software on any of their networks aside from legal risks.

4. zwound

zwound Thread Starter

Hello,

Thanks for the help. I am indeed using p2p and as soon as I turned utorrent off, my internet got back to it old self. However, I've had utorrent for years without any problems.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's probably all we can do in that case.

From the TSG Rules.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891248

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice