1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UEFI with 10 will it use GPT or MBR drive partitioning?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jrbuergel, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    With 10 installed in the UEFI type BIOS mode does it automatically use the GPT rather than the MBR type drive partitioning? Also is either UEFI or GPT a possible reason for Easy BCD not working well for multiple booting windows 10 and a new recent linux, such as Ubuntu 18-04or Mint 19? How can you check to find out which method is used, that old MBR, or the newer GPT? Also if I use a fairly recent version of the Gparted tool which partition type will it use? If my SSD drive is GPT, and I have internal hard drive with MBR, is that okay so that each can detect and access the other drives with no issues?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming that Windows 10 still includes Disk Management, in Disk Management right click on the disk in question - Properties - Volumes tab - look at the Partition style entry to determine if GPT or MBR.

I think that one of Microsoft's restrictions on the use of UEFI is why EasyBCD is no longer a solution for Windows/Linux multi-booting.

I haven't checked, but I think that Gparted has options for creating GPT or MBR or converting from one type to the other.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  4. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Okay then and thanks for that helpful information, I will check that next time I boot that computer.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    When I checked the 2 drives in my computer management it showed the SSD with 10 on it as GPT, and the 1 TB HD was MBR. So since I have a paid for tool called EaseUS Partition Master Pro installed, I used that to convert it from MBR to GPT type which worked quick and easy. So now I can install and boot a new Linux on that 1 TB hard drive with grub 2 as the boot loader. One issue with my windows 10 backup is that it causes a few stop code errors and reboots the PC so the backup to that 1 TB drive never completes. ( kmode exception not handled, and System Service Exception ). Okay thanks.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What software did you use to make the backup ?

8. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    For the attempt to backup I used the built Windows 10 from the control panel. I think my fairly new rebuild system MSI motherboard Intel Z370 chip set, Gaming Plus must have some issues which I am in process trouble shooting and trying to fix with the Best Buy Geek Squad. So when I try to run or do any demanding task such as backup or even a Norton Security malware virus scan it gives a stop code error and reboots. Of course I did use the MSI driver update utility to scan for, download, and then install all needed device drivers. So now I am thinking of have them replace that MSI board with a more expensive and better ASUS mother board with the same Intel chip set so we can use all the same other parts.

9. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    If and when I do have Geek Squad replace my MSI motherboard with the more stable ASUS board, can they do that procedure with out a full clean reinstall of my 10? So then remove all the MSI drivers and applications, and then install and update all drivers for the ASUS, right?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, I would never have geek squad do anything. If you do not want to change motherboards yourself, take the system to a real shop.
    Next a clean install is the better way to go however if you really, really do not want to clean install, there is a procedure at the top of the hw forum for swapping motherboards without a clean install.

Do understand that if you have an oem version of windows [what comes on a dell, hp, or other big box system] you will need to purchase a new lic or install key. OEM type windows lic live and die with the original hardware; you change the motherboard and you need a new copy of windows. If you have a retail version of windows, you can install that on as many systems as you want as long as it is only installed on one system at a time. Example. You have a retail version of windows on system A; you delete/format system A. Now you can install your retail copy of windows on system B. Note you may have to call MS to activate on system B since their [MS] servers will record you have your copy of windows on system A. When I have had to call ms, it is really no big deal. You simply explain what you did and they will give you an activation code.

Lanctus likes this.
  11. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Okay thanks, and my Windows 10 fortunately is a full retail version, so that will help things. The reason I am using Geek Squad is because I paid the $200. service cost for a full year from them, and when my old 2009 windows 7 based system finally failed with a hard drive failure, I decided to remove and replace all the internal parts to have updated hardware for my new 10 install, which I had the Best buy Geek Squad do. This PC was originally a off the shelf store built system with a really good Lian Li case from 3-2009. So what is wrong with the Geek Squad work quality?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217564

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice