1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UFO: Extraterrestrial technical difficulties

Discussion in 'Games' started by Brodieman, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brodieman

Brodieman Thread Starter

I am a huge fan of the old X-com series, and recently found a game that seems to be similar to it, so i bought it. When I brought it back, I realized that my PC might not be able to run it. Whenever I put the disc in my cd drive, it does not even recognize that a disc is in. My computer is an HP compaq dc7100. I'm certain it has all the running requirements, but the cd is unable to run or even be detected. My CD drive is a LITE-ON LTR-48327S, according to my device manager.

I then tried it on my friend's laptop, which is an HP Pavilion dv6000. I was unable to find what his graphics card was, but here's what happened on his: It took the computer about 10 minutes to recognize the CD in the drive, then once it did, we installed the game, and Direct X 9.0 successfully, but when we tried to run it, it has an error that says "UFO: Extraterrestrials requires graphics card taht supports vertex and pixel shaders to run." I'm not sure if there is a way around this or not.

Any suggestions or solutions to these problems would be much appreciated.

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi mate!

Sorry to ask that but the are u sure that the game disc is a CD and not a DVD?
    CD ROM drives can't read DVDs and according to this site http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF04a/35123-968421-968421-968421-7163127.html
    you PC can come with a simple CD ROM drive if ordered that way.

If you are sure that your drive is compatible with the game media it is possible that you came across a bad disc (I speculate that because your friends drive had difficulties reading it as well). If that is the case you can go it back to the store you bought it and ask for a replacement.

As for the graphics card, I'm not sure about the Pavillion's capabilities but your PC must be able to run this game. You have an integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 graphics subsystem which provides support for DX 9 pixel and vertex shaders. The performance though may not be the best as this chip is not very powerful. I believe that you will be able to run the game with minimum graphics, otherwise you may consider buying a new, standalone graphics card. I can't make any suggestions though as I can't find the expansion capabilities of your motherboard (I can't see if it has an AGP slot, required for most graphics cards of your PC's era. It is also possible that you can find a simple PCI graphics card - be carefull, not PCI Express.).

3. burnthepc

burnthepc

Brodieman, have you thought about playing the original game? It's been left to fall into abandonware. Not sure what the mods on here think about abandonware, so I won't post a direct link. The fansite, linked from the Wikipedia page has some info on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_UFO_Defense

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice