UGH... a mild annoiance with XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wind_Danzer

Ok, when I go to shut down my computer and I get my shut down screen, I get three choices.

1. Stand By
2. Shut Down
3. Restart

Well choice #1 really isn't a choice actually because I can't click on it to send it to stand by.

Choice #2 actually doesn't seem to shut down my computer, it restarts it and I have to push the power button on the front of my computer to turn it off.

Choice #3 is the only one that works properly.

How can I fix the computer so that Stand By and Shut Down functions work properly.

Thanks!!!

tpb

Check to see if the NT APM / Legacy Interface Node is enabled.
Right click My Computer, Then click Properties>Hardware>Device Manager, Then click view>Show hidden devices.
You will see the NT APM / Legacy Interface Support, Click the + next to it. If the NT APM / Legacy Interface Node is disabled it will have a red X overtop of it. Right click on it then click enable.

Wind_Danzer

tbp,

Thanks for the reply. I did like you said but I don't have the NT APM / Legacy Interface Support anywhere in the manager. Could it be called something else. This is XP Home, not PRo if that makes a difference.

tpb

Try this:
Start> Control Panel> Power Options> APM tab and make sure Enable Power Management Support is checked.
also Hibernate tab, make sure Enable Hibernation is checked.

i know when i had XP installed the restart from shutdown happened from Direct CD do u have it installed? the updated drivers from www.roxio.com fixed it for me

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online