1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ugh - not all programs transferred to new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saranee, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. saranee

saranee Thread Starter

Hi,

I just purchased a new PC. My old computer was running Windows Vista and the new computer is running Windows 7. I bought a new external hard drive to back up the info from my old computer. Then the plan was to transfer that data to new the computer.

I ran into a problem transferring the backed up info from the external hard drive to the new computer. I was told it was because I was working with two different OS Systems. Anyway, I was able to get the majority of the data to my new computer with a bit of hair pulling.

I have found though that some of my programs did not transfer and I'm not sure how to get them. I have two in particular that I really need to retrieve):

1) Ipswitch WS/FTP
    2) Avast Virus protection (paid subscription).

Can anyone tell me how to find and transfer those programs to my new computer? Is there an easier way to transfer files from old computer to new computer with the caveat that one computer is Vista and the other is W7??

Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to provide. I haven't had the new computer up and running long, so am ok with starting over if need be...

Saranee

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Most programs have to be reinstalled in the new OS.

3. saranee

saranee Thread Starter

When I had the old computer cleaned, the store put the Avast Virus protection on for me. How would I reinstall that software?

Thanks
    Saranee

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. bp936

bp936

as Mumbodog says, programs have to be re-installed new, since Windows always alters some part to register a program. Every version is a bit different.
    Avast and other virus programs you either should have a disc or download new, but first write down your activation code, usually found somewhere in the program, it might ask for it again.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Avast also has a free version that you simply download and register(free).

If you bought Avast then the code should have been given to you or it should be in the email or be retrieval via your email by going to their site.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice