1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ugrade Version or Clean Install Version?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lagunasrfr, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr Thread Starter

If I buy a full Vista disk, can I UPGRADE from my current XP SP2 system (keeping my applications) with it? Or, do I have to do a clean install and reload all of my applications?

This http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx is not totally clear, but it looks like you do not have the option to UPGRADE from the clean install version.

I am aware I can use dual-boot with the clean install version, but does that mean I have to re-install applications in the Vista partition

Summary: Can I UPGRADE from the clean install disk?

One other question:

I understand Vista's backup/restore is different and perhaps not too flexible. I have had great success with MS's NTBACKUP program. Can I use it with Vista?

2. Doom_Machine

Doom_Machine

with full..you can upgrade and keep favorites/settings/email...etc

i have ultimate full...let me check here
    stupid box is almost impossible to open sometimes, you have to hold it just right to open easy **frustrated**

for antivirus..update it then disable it before you upgrade
    ok it also says for upgrade you can keep your current settings/programs, user accounts,files
    however it does recommend to backup files n stuff to disc before you install

you can dual boot..i dont know if you have to reinstall apps in vista, i assume you can use transfer tool to do that

with upgrade edition..you must have an activated valid XP installed first
    with full edition....well its obvious

i kinda doubt you could use NT backup but who knows, give it a shot

3. techy689

techy689

Also, with upgrade edition you will no longer be able to use your previous version of XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice