1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uh oh, I may have messed up :-O

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by britany, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. britany

britany Thread Starter

Ok, so I may have completely messed up my home computer, but hopefully y'all can tell me otherwise =)

I decided to put a parental control on our family computer. I went into the control panel to the user account settings and it said since the account was "Administrator" I couldn't put the parental controls on it. Well, then I go to see the "other profiles" that are on the computer (via "Manage another account"), and I see an account labeled "ADP.net machine account". I had no clue what this is, but thought that maybe it was just another account that my husband had set up for whatever reason. I open this ADP.net Machine Account profile, make it administrator, go back into the profile we usually use, made it "standard", and put on parental controls to medium. Well, now we can't access other websites (such as Craigslist). So I thought I'd be smart and just go in and add it to the "allowed" list. Well, of course since it's not administrator, I can't change it. So I tried to switch profiles to the ADP.net Machine Account profile, but I can't log in on it (it doesn't even show up at all on the log-in screen). I guess this isn't a real "usable" profile after-all. So, once again, thinking I'm going to be smart, decide to just do a system restore to before I changed the account settings to see if that works. Well, much to my amazement, this computer isn't set up to back-up automatically, and apparently it's NEVER been backed up in the 3 years or so that we've owned it. I've done system restores on my work computer and didn't have a problem, so it's not an issue of not knowing how to do it.

I just want to be able to get back to where we were before I decided to get "smart" with all of this. Have I completely screwed up our computer, or is it fixable??

P.S. we are running Windows Vista if that helps any

Thanks so much for your time!
    You can quit laughing at me now ; )

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

So, can you log in with just the normal administrator account in normal or safe mode?

3. E-7

E-7

4. britany

britany Thread Starter

I can't log in as administrator at all. The only profile showing up on the log-in screen is the one that I have the parental block on.

5. britany

britany Thread Starter

E-7 -
    I tried that, and it said "Access Denied".

Any other suggestions???

6. britany

britany Thread Starter

P.S.
    Thanks y'all for your help! Hopefully we can get this fixed : /

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

If you boot to safe mode, do you have an admin log in?

8. britany

britany Thread Starter

I'm sorry Bernardo, I don't know what it means to boot to safe mode. How do I do that??

9. Bernardo

Bernardo

As the computer is starting up, tap F8, you should get a menu, choose safe mode.

10. E-7

E-7

Try this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...y/thread/1f534ae0-71a8-4947-836f-1128bc7f8d67

11. britany

britany Thread Starter

sadly, that didn't help either. When I restarted in safe mode, the only user account that showed up was the one that I'm trying to fix. I'm still not able to sign into the one that was there by default titled "ASP.NET Machine Account."

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice