1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uh, oh, need your opinions again....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kara, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

Well, something happened on the way to pick up my new computer :(

I was talking to the Manager that was handling the return when showing him what I wanted when he asked if I had looked at the VPR Matrix line (I know, he's trying to push his own line), but had a look at it anyway and thought I'd at least have a look around the net and ask here.

Now they have one that's along the same line as the Compaq ($100 cheaper I think) but they also had one where the biggest difference between it and the Compaq is that it has a DVD RW with it and is $200 more than the Compaq.

I've looked around the net and haven't found any really negatives about them ( one of the little rubber feet on a laptop fell off on a few of them, but that's the most I've come across.

The differences so far I've seen is supposedly these machines aren't as prioritary as other name brands and don't come crammed with all the stuff others make you take. But on the other hand it say's it doesn't come with "alot" of software the others get in packages.

Also their site has "download drivers", "FAQ", "Get Started Guide" ect, so the help and tech help seems to be there.

This is an article about it http://www.currid.com/labs/chronicle20021219.htm (desktop opinion is half way down) am still looking for specifics on it including software but if you have any opinions it would be very much appreciated.

(thoughts and prayers for the families of the space shuttle crew :( )

2. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

Here is the next model up (can't find the 6100) seems to have the same things except it's 2.5 not 2.66 and 100 gig HD not 120 http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_desktop_FT7100.asp

PC Magazine's rating was good http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,431378,00.asp

Just thinking of this one as it seems you can upgrade easier than the others if I wanted. Not much in software but you can get alot on the internet for free (adobe, etc) even if I can't at least I can just get what I need.

Thanks again.

3. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Sounds like a good deal if you need that much power. :cool:

John

4. n2gun

n2gun

Kara
    Looks like a decent deal. Plenty of power and speed. You should have no need to uograde for a while with that.

5. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

Must say I've only found positive things said when searching for opinion on this. Certainly more machine than I'll ever need (I would think, but said that about the one I have now) so I figure I might as well get as much as I can with one that will allow me to upgrade in the future.

Just wondering if it's worth the extra money (I think $300.) to get the one with the DVD RW or just get the one with the CD RW.

6. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I've heard DVD palyers for TVs are getting pretty reasonable, so I think I would skip that option.
    Als be sure if you do the upgrade that is is to a DVD CDR RW. When I ordered my Dad's PC I thought that's what were were getting, but ended up with a DVD player and only a CR ROM, not a RW.

John

7. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

Thanks, just checked and it has a
    "DVD-RW/CD-RW Combo Drive"
    "16X DVD-ROM drive"

I know when CD RW's first came out they were slower then as time went speeds increased, don't know alot about the DVD RW's, hold alot of storage which is good but just wondering if I should wait or it would be good to have now.

I would guess the it's a DVD RW that can RW and Play CD's also, still trying to find out what the differences are.

8. Rockn

Rockn

The only thing missing would be a monitor.....none included. For 1500 dollars you could get more memory and a better video card if you went lower on the CPU specs. Do they have any AMD CPU solutions? The processor on this thing is the big buck item and you can save a few bucks if you don't need all that processing power.

9. torgo

torgo

10. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

They don't have any AMD in that model I saw. They have a lower priced one because it's minus the DVD player might be a bit slower.

So I guess the choice is if I should get the DVD player with it or not.

Definately gone off the Compaq and Sony, seems the people I've read reviews on like this system, not as much software but not a TON of stuff they cram in there too.

Thanks for the link Torgo, have to go with Best Buy on this one, sure don't have that great a rating in the States, hope their better here.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice