1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uh-oh not again!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dreamkitty71, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dreamkitty71

dreamkitty71 Thread Starter

Hello. I had posted a thread a while back about my cdrom not working and my error message reading drive not ready. My stepdad thought he knew what the problem was and installed a new cdrom. Well, about a month later, back to square one only this time it is with a new cdrom. I have read lately about Emachines and the problems people have had but none like this. All I know that I did was go into the install/uninstall thing on my puter to uninstall some of my daughters games that she doesn't use and BAM! The next cd I put into the cdrom to use made funny noises, and then nothing. So I took it out and tried again and same thing. Now once again, it doesn't start up any games or music or any kind of cd. Makes noise but that's it. It won't start up when I try to start it by using run...So I am lost again. I hate to just throw it in the dumpster. My daughter uses it alot and has very special cd's that she likes to play. I just don't understand why it worked at first perfectly when my stepdad installed it and then began having the same problem I initially had with the original cdrom that came with the puter. OH PLEASE PLEASE Help me again! I know that when I right click on D:\ it gives the option to eject and when I click it, the cdrom door opens but for some reason it keeps telling me that the drive is not ready. Just will not play cd's and I am not ready to give up yet! LOL! Thank you for reading this "BOOK" of mine. Sorry so long-dreamkitty

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi dreamkitty71,
    I may be off base here but here goes! Try getting a CD-ROM cleaner ( They are cheap) Run it and then check your CD. See if it is dirty. Maybe the Eye in the CD-ROM is picking up some foreign matter somewhere. Take the CD , use a clean dust free cloth, Start in the center wipe toward the edge.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did we pop it open and check the connections?

5. dreamkitty71

dreamkitty71 Thread Starter

I have a cleaning kit for my computer that I had bought way back when I thought that that may in fact be the problem but I can't run the disk to clean it being the cd rom will not run any cd. And I have put in more than one disk. One that is only about a month old and is clean. Thank you for the thought though. I wish that was all it was. Hopefully I will find out the problem. Basically, I had problems with the original one that came with my etower. The same thing that is happening now, and my stepdad came over and took it out, put it back in, and it worked. Then, about a week or so later, it wouldn't play any games or cd's anymore. So, he came over with a different cd rom and installed that. Worked fine and then about a month later, here I am. The only thing I can think of that I did different, I think I said in the other thread, was uninstall and remove some of my daughters old games from my computer that she doesn't play anymore. All the things I have on my computer, with the exception of my webcam, came with the whole etower package. And my webcam I haven't used since I first got it. I heard that paying to talk to an emachine tech is basically a costly waste of time so I hate to put more money into this than needed. Well, if anyone has any other suggestions or questions...please just let me know. Like I say, I don't know a whole lot about this stuff...still learning! And thank you for the cleaning suggestion! Have a good one! -dreamkitty71-

6. supertech

supertech

i had a emachine and never had any probs with mine .....i did have problems with a dvd player doing that to just a few cd,s not all.maybe when you removed the games you might have remnoved a shared file windows would have prompted you first to accept or decline.try powering down open the cd door and reboot with the cd in the tray it might fire up when the door closes on a boot.go into safe mode (f5 while booting up)and go into your device manager and see how many cd roms are showing if there is more then 1 remove them and then reboot :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice