1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uh oh. Overheating.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CompUser12, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CompUser12

CompUser12 Thread Starter

Wow. Until recently I was vaguely aware that I had some sort of overheating problem, mainly, my computer started incessantly beeping while I was playing any cpu-taxing game. Didn't think much of it and thought it might stop, which it obviously didn't. I visited a site that directed me to a program that lets you monitor fan speed/computer temperatures, and wow......look below.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3434/speedfanxi5.png

Apparently, one of my fans doesn't work. At all. (Or is somehow disabled?) Had no idea that I had a problem this big....any help? Is there any way to fix this without replacing my cooling system?

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning CompUser12, yes we seem to be looking at stove here!

As a duplicate test could you obtain this Everest program and run it, it will show the devices and their temps and voltages.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
    Navigate computer > sensors page in it and "copy and paste" that page info back here.

It may be an idea to take the case side cover off and get a bit of air blowing in that machine.

qldit.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Speedfan often displays "0" when nothing is plugged into that fan header.

Open the case and look at your fans when you power up the system; are they running? While you have the case open, give everything a good cleaning with a can of air [available at any office store or computer shop] Once it is clean, inspect the hsf for any broken parts ie socket retaining lugs, broken retaining clip, etc.

If the above does not fix the problem, I would pull the hsf and replace the thermal compound. Last option; a new hsf.

4. CompUser12

Alright. I'm downloading the program and will post results shortly.

On another note, the only "normal" temperature is around 45 degrees celsius, so.....the ones at around 125 degrees C, would that be bordering a dangerous temperature level here?

5. CompUser12

I already have a can of compressed air, cleaned this before. I'll try it again, see if it helps any.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You would be better off checking your temps in the bios. I like speedfan, however it occasionally will display strange info.

7. CompUser12

Alright, here are the Everest results:

Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)
    GPU Sensor Type National LM63 (ATI-I2C 4Ch)
    Motherboard Name Asus P4C800 / P4P800 / P4P8X

Temperatures
    Motherboard 34 °C (93 °F)
    CPU 54 °C (129 °F)
    GPU 54 °C (129 °F)
    GPU Ambient 46 °C (115 °F)
    Seagate ST3200822A 57 °C (135 °F)

Cooling Fans
    CPU 3668 RPM
    Power Supply 1834 RPM

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.32 V
    +3.3 V 3.26 V
    +5 V 5.00 V
    +12 V 11.92 V
    +5 V Standby 5.11 V
    Debug Info F FF 5C 5C
    Debug Info T 34 54 208
    Debug Info V 54 C4 CC BA D5 FD C4 (03)

8. CompUser12

Well I've had the side panel off a couple of minutes as suggested, and now one of the temperatures has dropped BELOW recommeded level...

9. qldit

qldit

Well all things considered the CPU (processor) and the GPU (video card) temps are elevated but not neccessarily dangerous, the harddrive is pretty hot though.

A hard drive cooler may be an idea.

Of course these readings are only a guide.
    The base temperature does appear sufficiently different from the CPU temp which may indicate the CPU heatsink may need a clean.
    Recheck by actually using your fingers to get an idea of relative thermal levels in the different areas.

The voltages all look quite healthy.

Basically I can't really see much to worry about.

Another set of readings with the machine under stress would be helpful to compare especially looking at the CPU temp.

But I am often wrong so apply suitable correction factor. (LOL!!)

A few comparisons I did with systems using both speedfan and everest appeared to suggest everest was more accurate.
    If you can obtain a suitable thermometer and a digital voltmeter it is an interesting exercise and well worthwhile.

qldit.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

My experience is that on-board sensors can have an error of +/- 10°C, they are a simply uncalibrated device.

Given that an accurate electronic thremometer would cost almost as much as your motherboard, treat the accuracy of the 10 cent component on the motherboard accordingly.

Its 10.5°C outside here today qldit, no need for cooling on the CPU....

11. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon Gentlemen, I have one of these laser thermometers here it is an incredible gadget, it reads from twenty feet or more.
    It seems pretty accurate, but probably 10% or better.

Nice to hear your temp is going down Kiwi, currently 26 calm & clear here at 1530 hrs.
    You temp makes it feel so much nicer! (he-he!!)
    Keep cool!!
    Cheers, qldit.

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The laser thermometer is not that good, as it seems quite dependent on the colour of what you are sensing. Matt black seems the most accurate.

I have one here as well.

Still, beats a rectal thermometer any day.

13. qldit

qldit

Excellent for covert work!
    qldit.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

:eek: :eek: :eek:

15. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Gentlemen, actually Kiwi, the rest of the world probably wouldn't realise that would be a dedicated Kiwi (all black) thermometer.
    The black arts proliferate there!
    qldit.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice