1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

uh oh, scsi, what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok, i am building/repairing a pc, and i used a cdrw drive temporarily to install windows, and i went to go put the cd drive i intended on using into the case, and it's a scsi. i don't have much experience with these.
    should i put it in, or just skip it and put the cdrw in? (i wanted to save the cdrw for something else....)
    i have a scsi hdd (quantum 18.2gig), should i use the two together? i'm clueless.

2. slipe

slipe

If you have a SCSI HD you must have a SCSI card or have it built into the MB. Why can’t you use SCSI for the CD drive? A SCSI drive is generally better than IDE – and much more expensive. The least number of components a SCSI card will handle is 7 – so you shouldn’t have a problem. Make sure the SCSI IDs are different. You just daisy chain them on the cable if they have the same connectors. If the HD is wide it has more pins, but most cards have a 50 pin plug as well. If the connectors are different you will have to use separate cables.

3. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

so can i use the ide hdd with the scsi cd rom?

(sorry if you already explained that part, i'm a little confused )

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

SCSI devices require a SCSI host adapter, which is normally a separate controller card, though a few motherboards have build-in SCSI host adapters. You can mix SCSI and IDE devices in a single system, but the SCSI devices are connected to their own controller, and the IDE devices are connected to theirs.

5. slipe

slipe

You said you had a SCSI Quantum HD. If that came on the computer you likely have SCSI connections. If it didn’t you don’t likely have a card or built in SCSI. If the HD is “wide” SCSI it uses a wider plug than the CD-ROM but you should have connectors for both the standard 50 pin and the wider 68 pin.

If they both have the same connectors you have to be concerned with SCSI ID which is set with jumpers. They can’t both be on the same ID. If they both have the same connectors you can get an inexpensive SCSI card that will handle them in case the HD materialized from the same place the CD drive did.. If the HD is wide the card will be a little pricier. If you don’t have SCSI in the computer it is worth the price of a card for the SCSI HD, but it might not be for the CD drive alone.

You can use another IDE HD along with SCSI just fine. I would boot to the SCSI drive as it is likely faster.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While that used to be the conventional wisdom, I'm not at all sure it's true anymore. :D

I have two 10K RPM SCSI drives and an Adaptec Ultra-160 HA in the closet, they've been replaced by a WD 200g SE drive with the 8mb cache.

The WD drive was faster on every test I ran, both benchmarks and large file transfer tests. I'm surprised how fast the SCSI Advantage has melted away with modern drives. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice