1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uh...Power Cord

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fatebringer, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fatebringer

Fatebringer Thread Starter

:cool:

Ok, I feel stupid, what with all the threads here dealing with CPU Processors and other high tech hardware...

I was wondering a few things.

Has anyone had a problem before where the connection to the power cord breaks? Causing the computer to read as though it wasn't plugged in? This is happening where the cord enters the Laptop.

I am wondering what the problem could be, the cord, or the laptop.

I am on a Sony VAIO.

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to fix said problem? Or where to buy a new one?

Is it supposed to be loose? If I jiggle it, the power cuts and it goes to battery life, so I figure it isn't supposed to be.

Any help would be most appreciated.

2. Arcadion

Arcadion

It's a loose connection, this is actually a pretty common problem. You need someone who is good with a soldering iron to open the laptop up and resolder the connection. Your local computer repair shop may be able to do this.

3. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

do u still have the original power cord that cam with the vio or did u later buy a different one. beacuse if u bought a diff one they sometimes are a little loose.

4. mshabsovich

mshabsovich

i dout the laptop blug is physicly loose. i think its the actual power cord. try unpluging the laptop and try to wiggle the connecter insode the laptop. if it moves then its a prob with the laptop if not then its the power cord. does that help u?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Note from many who have had a similar experience, do not use it until its fixed.

Its probably easily repairable by a computer serviceman as of now, but persisting with using it will permanently damage the motherboard making repair possibly uneconomic.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I fix broken power connectors on laptops all the time so it is fairly common. But one thing you should make sure is that it is the connector in the laptop and not the cord itself. I've seen several cords where the cable is frayed near the plug from excsessive twisting and pressure.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice