1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Uing Wireless Access Point with Netgear VMDG480

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bunkermentality, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bunkermentality

Bunkermentality Thread Starter

I have a Virgin Media Netgear VMDG480 broadband modem/router. Whilst the Ethernet performance is strong the Wifi signal strength is weak and only provides signal to half of my house. I've seen various comments on other forums that this is a common problem for this device. To overcome this I propose to install a Wireless Access Point at the far end of the house and connect this to the VMDG480 via powerlink. (I already use this powerlink connect to a PC at the far side of the house and this works really well.)

My concerns are:

1. Will the VMDG480 recognise the Wireless Access Point? I've seen some comments that suggest that this may be a problem.
    2. Is there any specific type of Wireless Access Point that I should use to ensure compatibility with the VMDG480?
    3. Is the use of a Wireless Access Point across powerlink a sensible approach?
    4. An alternative approach is to use a Wireless Range Extender. Is this a better approach? If yes should I use a Netgear device to ensure compatibility?

Thanks, Paul

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. "recognize"? I don't understand. How does the router "recognize" a computer or powerlink or other device?

2. Cannot think of any way a Wireless Access Point would be incompatible with a router.

3. Yes, since you know the powerlink works for you.

4. Not a better approach, unless there is no way to connect a WAP.

3. Bunkermentality

Bunkermentality Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I'll press on with the Powerlink WAP approach.

Paul

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

Keep us updated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice