1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

UK and US batteries?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Z3R-0, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Z3R-0

Z3R-0 Thread Starter

Hey people...

I was recently thinking of purchasing a laptop from the US since they're cheaper and of a higher quality than over here in the UK...

Then i came to the problem of power supplies... Is it possible to put a UK battery into a US laptop?? I mean, i can always use a power converter with the original US battery pack.... but it's a bit of hassle... especially when i'm at college and i need power quick.

I thought that all the components ran on the same power which would mean that the battery/power supply would convert the local power wattage/voltage to a universal level that the equipment would work at...

That would mean i would be able to remove the US battery from the US laptop and replace it with a UK battery using UK adapter???

I hope what i said made sence :S
    I'm really confused and dont know how to explain my problem :(

Thanks to anyone who responds !
    It's greatly appreciated!! :)

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

Welcome to TSG.

As I am based in London I'm not able to answer your question about battery compatability ... merely wanted to see if you were aware that American companies are now required to add domestic VAT to purchases ? You may want to be sure of the total cost including this 17.5% as it does make a sizeable difference to a £1000 - £2000 purchase.

3. Z3R-0

Z3R-0 Thread Starter

Hey buddy... Thanks for the welcome :)
    Yeah, i was aware of the 17.5% tax they add on... Bit crafty the way they don't display it on their sites but usually put something along the lines of:

Price is before all applicable rebates.
    Please call for volume pricing.

But yea, i'm aware of it :)

4. RandyG

RandyG

First, quality is the same, as components are the same. It's going to depened on if you buy from a crap manufacturer or a quality one. You pay more fo rthe quality, but it is usually worth it in the long run.

Second . . . the batteries are the same, the power supply is different! Since US is on 110 and Uk on 220, you would need to get a power supply adaptor from the UK, but everything else would be dandy . . .except the modem. Uk modems still use that really stupid elongated Phone jack that is used in the UK. US modems use a standard RJ45.

so, back to your question . . . yes you can buy it from the States and bring it over and use it in the UK, but you would need a UK power adaptor to recharge your battery, that is all.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The Vast majority of power supplies are multi-voltage nowadays and will work anywhere betwenn 100 and 240 with frequency 50-60. The only thing you wil need different is the cable.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice