1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ultimate driver CD /DVD exist?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vookster82, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Silly question, but i thought this would be an awesome idea if someone had the resources to do so....an ultimate driver CD !!!! preffereably a DVD. This way one could have a whole 4.5 gigs of the most commonly used and proper drivers right on one disk...for almost any peice of hardware.....man that would be awesome....so many problems solved.

Anyone know if something like this exists...???

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

4. Jones

Jones

Seems kind of pointless since it would constantly be out of date.

You could pretty much consider the internet to be the 'ultimate driver source'. And it's always current.

5. onsite

onsite

XP has alot of drivers built in or "server side" of course anything newer then XPs launch date of 2001 will not be in xp. The downside of your suggestion is drivers get "stale" meaning companies are always coming out with new versions or updates. Even CDs that come with mainboards I have found newer versions on the mainboard web site. Yes there are web sites like driverguide http://driverguide.com/ , You can find obsolette or rare drivers. I would much rather go to the manufacturers web site and get the latest.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Maybe... but that's assuming that everyone is always running the newest and most recent hardware. Many times the 'latest' drivers are not a good choice for older hardware. VIA for one, warns against using it's latest chipset drivers on older chipsets. With NVIDIA, even though they call their stuff unified, those with older cards will be better served with drivers from the archive.

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Agree ,Mystic. I found that the old drivers for ATI work better than the new drivers with older cards like 4.12 drivers with 9800 series cards.

8. vookster82

Thats what im feeling mystic and pug, I just figure in most cases (Atleast for me) the older drivers is what im looking for or are more than suffice in most cases...not prehistoric persay...but very rarely am i looking for the "latest and greatest" driver released by a vendor. I stick with what works or has worked on the computer.

I dont use a newer driver unless the history change log pin points something that might be an issue resolver or preventer......if it works, LEAVE IT !!!!

Thus, IMO a ultimate driver disk would be awesome....atleast to have the ability to have a huge resource or drivers sitting on a disk right by one's side. And if you feel the need...use the web to get the latest driver.:D

Hows that drivershq.com pugmug? ive used driveragent before an was somewhat impressed...somewhat.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link mystic....i never even thought of looking on ebay :p Ill have to inquire for more info...500 megs is kinda small i think.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    We have a server at work that holds several gigs of drivers and no drivers have been added to it in the last few years. You'd need so many DVD's to hold even the most common drivers, and common is very different for each user.

Also even though old drivers may work, that doesn't mean that a new driver won't work better. For example every display driver resolves some issue, it may not apply to every card or to every game but if you happen to have the affected card or game you'd probably want the driver. Having just every ATI Catalyst driver and supporting software would take a whole DVD.

10. pugmug

pugmug Banned

vookster,I bought the Driver Detective program to speed up my work on customers computers and it works very well. Because I paid for it I can install it on as many computers as I want per their rules. It makes for happy customers when they see they get something for free,easy to use,works well and let's them update their own drivers when they want or need to.Most remember that and bring me back more business which is good.A little P.R. never hurts in the business world. lol.

11. vookster82

I never realized it "could" be that bad in size wise...but it does make sense. Theres probably around 15 gigs of common useful drivers available for hardware from now till 5-6 years ago (big guess).:eek:
    But still, it would be great that have them just sitting around locally for the normal techy...even if it was one two or even three dvd's....or on a hard disk....cough. Some cant be as lucky as you to have gigs of drivers readibly available. :p
    It would simply be a nice addition to my "bag-o-goodies" and to have something like this locally....:p

Thanks pug, i took a gander at the utility...seems nice and very accurate...i will keep this one in mind (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice