Ultra ATA Internal Hard drive to computer that requires SATA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

penmark

I bought a Maxtor Ultra ATA internal hard drive, and want to install it as a backup drive in my HP m1170n. However, the m1170n requires an SATA hard drive. Is there a converter, adapter, etc. that I can buy to make the Ultra ATA compatible with the m1170n? Please provide specific model numbers for any suggestions, if possible. Also, please advise about how much it should cost and if it is easy to install. Many thanks.

You can use the IDE ribbon that your DVD burner is using, I am not seeing a real count on optical devices, but it looks like just one, so you can set the HD as slave to the DVD.

penmark

the m1170n has two optical drives...a dvd rw and a dvd/cd rw. does this change your answer? and how do you install it under these conditions? thanks.

dustyjay

Jay
If you still have one PCI slot available, you can get an IDE controller card that will work well. I searched an found that you have 4 SATA connectors available. A PCI IDE controller can be had for around $30 + dollars. Best bet on one of these is a Promise IDE controller card.

And on the motherboard, does one ribbon connect both drives to the Motherboard, is there a second IDE channel?

Or is each optical drive on its own IDE ribbon?

Just note that some of these shown do not support ATAPI. This would be like CD, DVD, ls-120. For HD they are fine.

dustyjay

Jay
The promise card supports Optical drives though you would not be able to boot from an optical drive connected to the IDE controller card.

Dmullen, an excellent idea...

I believe DustyJay is also a big fan of these, as am I of course.

dustyjay

Jay
yes I am, they generally work great. And you wont notice much of a speed difference between an IDE controller and one of these connected to USB 2.0 port. But unless your Bios supports boot from USB you wont be able to boot from one.

I believe he was looking for a backup disk anyway, which would mean enclosure would work fine for him...

dustyjay

Jay
Better yet, get an external 5.25" case and a hot swappable rack with inserts for your 3.5 " drive. That way you can move to more than one UATA Drive and be able to use them at your whim. Say you want your music collection on one, then another as a system backup, you can do that and keep your music collection safe as well. As data drives and even Programs that you rarely use but want to keep they are great. That way you dont have to load your system drive up with a lot of stuff. I have a hot swap rack on its way now. with 3 caddies for it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online