1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ultra ATA vs. Serial ATA Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlMujtahid, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlMujtahid

AlMujtahid Thread Starter

I currently have two ultra ATA hard drives installed in my PC. I want to replace one of them as I need more storage space. Do I have to get an Ultra ATA drive? Is that what my IDE cable will be rated for?

2. norton850

norton850

From the information given there is no way to know if you can use a SATA drive. It would depend on the connectors on your motherboard. As far as hooking a new drive to the same cable as the old one, yes you will need to replace it with another IDE drive.

3. AlMujtahid

AlMujtahid Thread Starter

so if i remove one of the ultra ATA drives and install an SATA drive, it may not necessarily work? The way it is set up now is both drives run off of one cable. I have a ABIT IS7E motherboard

4. redhat9

redhat9

The ABIT IS7 has both Parallel ATA and Serial ATA drive controllers on board. You can purchase a Serial ATA drive and install it and it will work fine. Just make sure you set the Serial ATA hard drive to the SATA 150 mode because this controller has SATA 1, not SATA 2. If you have your operating system on a Parallel ATA drive that you wish to replace, be prepared to re do your Windows installation. Or leave that drive alone and just add a Serial ATA drive for storage. I just recently purchased A Western Digital Serial ATA drive and I have noticed how much faster they are than Parallel ATA.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, it's not a problem to move your Windows installation from a PATA to a SATA drive. In the past I've done that several times. You just need to make sure that any required drivers are loaded for the SATA controller BEFORE you move the system. As long as you change the boot order and the SATA becomes the boot drive after the move, it'll work just fine. I've even done this moving from a PATA to a RAID-0 array.

6. redhat9

redhat9

What'd you use to move your installation? When I got my WD drive, I used Norton Ghost, it looked as if it was going to work just fine until when I went to boot and Windows blew up in my face. I even had the SATA controller drivers configured properly as Windows automatically detected them and all, it gave me this stop error so I just decided it was time to redo it.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I used Acronis True Image, but I did my original copy to the RAID array using GHOST 2003 the first time. You MUST have the target drive bare with no drive letter assigned in the O/S to be copied, or you'll have problems when you boot the copy.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice