1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ultra Slow Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cluelessone, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cluelessone

cluelessone Thread Starter

From turning on the computer until the hard drive stops reading is taking around 30min!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It always seemed to slow ( 5-8min) but all of a sudden the boot up time has drastically increased. I have upgraded and installed and uninstalled so many things recently I'm not sure which one could have done anything.
    I have Defragged using standard windows application and also using 'Diskeeper'. This made no difference. I have deep scanned the whole computer for addware, spyware, viruses etc using AVG, ZoneAlarm Pro, Microsofts onilne scan, Dells support scan and several others, all of which show nothing is wrong.
    Looking online at others with the same symptoms, it seemed the Zonealarm was using a lot of memory power so I uninstalled this but no luck changing the problem.
    Once the boot up has finished ( anything from 20-40 min ) the computer runs fine with no problems at all.
    The Windows task manager ( when it eventually loads during the boot up ) shows the PF Usage at up to 1.4GB and the CPU fluctuating from 0% up to 50-60%.
    I've also had 1 warning about virtual memory being high.
    Any help REALLY REALLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check.
    1 Boot the system in safe mode. How does it work now? Do you still have the problem?

2 Test your hd with the drive maker's utility for checking the drive. Note you download this from whoever made the drive; ie WD, Seagate, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice