1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ultra100 Bios Not Installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winston1425, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winston1425

winston1425 Thread Starter

My PC no longer boots up. It gives this mesage " Ultra100 BIOS not installed, there is no drivers attached. I understand this is a usuall problem with ASUS A7PRO MotherBoards. Mine is 200 MHz FSB AGP Pro/4x, Jumper free/VC133, VIA Apollo KT133 Chipset

My primary hard-drive is Maxtor 60GB.

I wonder any one knows how to resolve this problem. I tried another working drive and also different sockets and I get the same message. I think that the hard drive is not damaged but I can't pass this message "ULTRA100 BIOS is not installed.

Winston

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

It definitely doesn't sound like a harddrive problem.

Have you checked your BIOS settings? Make sure the IDE channels are enabled?

3. Ridgerunr

Ridgerunr

Couple of things to look at in bios. Be sure your ATA100 is enabled and be sure it's set to boot first to ATA100 and not SCSI. Before saving and leaving bios,on the boot menu,enable to reset hardware config "ESCD".

Might seem a silly question,but you did install the "mass storage controller" from the driver disk right?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That sounds like a Promise controller. If so, the message is telling you that it doesn't see any attached hard disks. Check the cables to the drive and controller, perhaps one is loose?

5. winston1425

winston1425 Thread Starter

I have tried all the advises I got on my issue (ultra100 Bios Not Installed) abot 300 times, nothing helps.
    I am about dump my motherboad and find some thing else. If any one knows how to reset the Ultra100 BIOS, I assume
    it is in the form of Dynamic memory on the motherboard. I cannot find any jumpers to or even the chip that holds the BIOS on the board to reset any thing. There are not loose cables of connectors, however very thing work once then back to the old problem again. Thanks to all.

Winston1425

6. slipe

slipe

Go to Via and get their latest 4 in 1 driver update. Strange stuff happens sometimes with Via chipsets and the updates often help.

I take it you have installed the software for the card. It should show up as a SCSI device in device manager after you install the software. It will show as a mass storage device until the software is properly installed. You might go to Promise and get the latest software for it.

7. JohnWill

Actually, if the Promise controller is embedded in the MB, you'll have to get any updates from the MB maker. I have an AOpen AX4B with the Promise Ultra133-TX2 built-in, and you can't upgrade it with the firmware from Promise. OTOH, if the controller isn't seeing the disk, I'm betting it's a hardware or jumpering issue.

One thing to try, put the hard drive on the end of the primary cable, and jumper it for cable select. I had to use CS for my hard disk, even though there's no reason I can think of that jumpering it as a master shouldn't work.

8. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Hello Winston,

First off, the A7PRO does not have any onboard RAID or ATA100 features. If you look at the mother board you'll find that there are only two IDE ports, both of which support only up to ATA66. Let me clarify a bit as I know this sounds confusing.:p It seems that the A7PRO is a less expensive off shoot of the A7V motherboard. In other words the A7PRO and the A7V boards are the same except the A7V board has two additional IDE ports which are configured for ATA100. What I think has happened is that the original BIOS (for the A7V) did not get flashed (updated) when the board was built to reflect that the A7PRO does not include the ATA100 IDE ports. I did a little research and found where a system builder noticed during the boot process the BIOS string showed his board as a A7V and not the A7PRO. He subsequently went to ASUS (Taiwan) and found an updated BIOS (version 1.04)and installed it on his machine. You guessed it. The BIOS string now says it is an A7PRO.

If this is the same in your case then most likely something happened causing you to lose the original BIOS settings, possibly a weak CMOS battery. I suggest you go into the BIOS setup and reset the pertinent fields especially the IDE configuration (set Primary/Secondary Master-slave to Auto). Next go to the Boot options screen and set it to Removable device (legacy floppy) first, then IDE Hard Disk, then ATAPI CDRom, disable Other boot device.

If you are still having problems you need to clear the CMOS following the directions for using the "clear CMOS" jumper in your manual, and try the steps above again.

Finally, you might consider downloading the updated BIOS mentioned earlier if all else fails. (Be sure to follow the instructions in your manual for backing up and flashing the BIOS!!!)

Let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

9. JohnWill

That's a bit ugly, and now the error message makes more sense! :) I think a flush of the BIOS configuration might return the board to sanity.

10. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

HI, Promise has a downloadable BIOS for their cards if indeed you are using an added in PCI Controller card, they also have separate drivers for these....in the past, it was found that some cards were found to NOT have their BIOS when they were installed....there is info available about this----however, if the Controller did work and now does not, probably what has been posted above will help you. If not, give the Promise site a try...there are printable directions available there to flash the Controller card's BIOS, install drivers, etc.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice