1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Um... wheres the XP install disc with Dell 4700?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AhrenBa, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,
    I bought my Dell 4700 about 6 months ago and was just going through the discs that came with it. I remembered that the Dell did not come with a Windows XP install disc in case I need to re-format. Is this normal? There is an option under Start....Accessories....System Tools to create OS backup disc. Is that what I need to make a disc or should it have came with one? Thanks

2. colmaca

colmaca

3. wacor

wacor Banned

i think it is normal to not get an XP install disc on some computers. i bought a Gateway a couple months ago and the first thing i said to do when i turned it on was to make the Install Disc. This was a series of discs and as it turned out they were no good when i had to reformat. I ended up getting Gateway to ship me a new disc although they wanted to charge me at first.

4. matt_aj

matt_aj

On the newer Dell's and HP's, they have a restore partition. On the Dell's it is hidden. You have to press a F key on the boot screen to enter this. I don't remember which one they told me though. If you want a CD all you have to do is call them and they will ship you one for free. I bought a Dell a few months ago and called them and asked the same thing. They sent me out CD's for free.

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, To find the exact options for Recovery your pc has, you can go to the Dell support site, type in your Service Tag ID#, which is found underneath the computer if it is a notebook type- or on the rear of a tower type, and let it bring up your specific system information, which you can browse through to find out exactly which way yours does the Recovery and if you are supposed to create the copy yourself.

Your pc has Recovery software that can create the Recovery disks for you, and I advise you to do that. Usually you are allowed to make only ONE of these cds or sets of cds or the one DVD depending on whether yours has a DVD burner or just CD burner.
    The sets you order are available for a time, but after that you might find that Dell cannot get you any, even at cost.
    HPs, eMachines etc work about the same way- for the newer systems.

6. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Wow, thank you all for your input. I had no clue about that restore partition. Hmm, its weird they wouldn't make that more clear. :) I might still ask Dell to ship me the disc just in case something goes wrong. Thanks again everyone!

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, If I had that type of Dell, yes I think a backup CD set would be a good idea....in case the DVD drive malfunctioned, for instance...

If you only have ONE of something valuable, you have to hide it to keep it safe...be surprised how many people can't find their Windows disks when the time comes to actually use them!

If you were not present, or had someone else do the setup when you got the Dell, they may have just skipped making the Recovery disk(s).... Here's something I ran into: An eMachine, band new, with a DVD burner, came with no Recovery disks, the owner is directed to make one just after XP activates the first time the pc boots all the way up. They give you only CDs, so lots of people, thinking "that's a pain, burning 3 or 4 disks", skip making them and wait to get a blank DVD and then never do go back and create the DVD.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice