1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Umax Scanner Drivers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scallywag, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Ok, I Know I Should Take More Care, But I Have Lost My Umax Scanner Driver Disc.

I Have Visited 5 Of The Umax Websites Throughout The World And Not Only Can I Not Find My Scanner Listed (Umax Astra Slim AS6000)...The Drivers That I Can Find Are Not Free Downloads And I Am Informed I Have To Send Cash To Umax For A New Disc.

I Have Never Come Across This With Any Of My Other Software, Most Companies Are Only Too Keen To Offer Support And Driver Updates For Free As An Ongoing Service To The Customer.

As A Result Of Myself Being Dismayed At The Lack Of Customer Back-Up From Umax And On The Principle Of Making A Stand Against What I Consider To Be "Rip Off Support" (The Disc Is Only £5.00)...I Am Now Looking Elswhere..........Can Anyone Help?

I Have Found Many Forums With Infinate Requests For Drivers But So Far Have Only Found Blind Links.

My Operating System Is Win 98 se.

Many Thanks.
    scallywag.

Attached Files:

2. slipe

slipe

The Umax trend toward requiring you to buy basic drivers is a pain. I would never recommend anyone buy one of their scanners.

My guess is that the as6000 is not made by Umax if it is a USB model that gets its power from the USB. They have had pages saying that CIS is inferior quality and that Umax isn’t using it.

You might try using a scanner contemporary with the as6000 and downloading the VistaScan for it. All you need from Umax is the VistaScan driver if that is what it uses. You might have to try a few different scanners to get one that works, but there are only a few versions available. The UK site was the best last time I messed with Umax.

If the “S” stands for SCSI you could also try the MagicScan driver.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

4. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Hello Again,
    I Have Tried most Of The Drivers At "Driverguide.com" And I Have Also Tried Vista Scan On Its Own.....But To No Avail....The Problem Seems To Be That My Scanner Doesnt Exist.....I know That Technically I Am Holding It In My Hand And It Feels Solid...And I Can See It.....But Im Convinced That It Doesnt Exist.

Should I File It Under Ghosts, Fairies And Other Myths?.....Should I Send It Back To Umax With No Postage So That They Would Be Liable? (Technically They Wouldnt...As It Doesnt Exist And So They Cannot Be Charged For Recieving It)

Should I Throw It In The Bin And Put It Down To Experience?....I Am Tempted!.....Or Am I Destined To Part With My Hard Earned Cash And Pay Again For The Driver Disc And Lose The Principal Of All This........Its Either That Or Spend My Whole Life Roaming Cyberspace Aimlessly Searching....Aimlessly Trying Other Scanner Drivers........Aimlessly Annoying All You Reading This.

Should I Give In To The Capitalist Company That Is Umax....Or Should I Rally The Troops And Put Up A Defiant Effort Against The Aggressor?........

Ok, Sorry, I Have Lost The Plot Slightly......In Brief And To Sumarise....Im Still Looking!

5. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

A Further Point I Forgot To Mention Is That The Scanner Is USB (No Power Supply, Just The Usb Connection)

6. slipe

slipe

I suspected that by looking at it. That means it has CIS sensors and Umax was holier than thou about not stooping to using inferior CIS sensors. So I assume it is another brand that Umax rebadged. Actually Canon gets decent quality out of CIS even though they are slower than CCD and have no depth of field.

Have you tried various versions of VistaScan? If you had it up and working was it definitely using VistaScan. Any indication on the identification plaque of who might have made it?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice