1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Umax scanner with Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeachHouseSt, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeachHouseSt

BeachHouseSt Thread Starter

I have a UMAX Astra 600P that worked just fine on my old laptop that ran Windows 95. But I cannot get it to work on my PC running Windows 2000.

When I try to install from the original UMAX installation CD, I get a "Copy file error!" message while intalling the driver portion. I downloaded what I thought to be an updated version of the driver, but still get the "Copy file error!" message.

I decided to let Windows detect the scanner and install its drivers for it, and it seemed to work. It allowed me to select Astra 600P from its list of UMAX scanners to add. When I checked in Control Panel under scanners, it showed the UMAX 600P as installed and ready, and when I clicked the test button I got the message "The scanner successfully completed the diagnostics test." complete with scanner humming and beeping like it knew what it was doing.

However, I cannot get PhotoShop or Word to allow me to scan. I keep getting the message "scanner link failed!" and then a TWAIN message "Could not open the TWAIN source. Make sure there is a valid source for your scanner in the TWAIN directory found in the Windows directory."

I have been looking for an answer to this phenomenon for days and would be so delighted if someone could solve this problem for me! I think it can be done, at least I saw somewhere during my searches that someone had done it, but I couldn't find out how. I'm new to this forum, but there appear to several geniuses on board here, so I remain hopeful! Please help!

2. norton850

norton850

Not good news. UMAX lists the 600P as not supported with Windows 2000 (or XP). :( I couldn't find any drivers with Google either. Perhaps someone else will.

3. BeachHouseSt

BeachHouseSt Thread Starter

Thanks for taking a look at this. Perhaps there is something fundamental that I don't understand...Why would Control Panel list the UMAX Astra 600P as a scanner to add if this scanner is incompatible with Windows 2000? And just because it detects it as an operable, running piece of hardware that successfully passes diagnostics, that doesn't necessarily mean you can use it? Does that just mean that the scanner works, and the computer sees it, but you can't use it unless you can find a driver? Does Windows 2000 not come with drivers for the devices it lists?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice