1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Umm, may have completely messed my computer up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JPman, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JPman

JPman Thread Starter

I'm pretty decent with software but this one has completely bemused me. I did a system restore to my computer and all of my usb ports are not responding to anything, at first I thought it was the stuff I already used i.e. mouse and keyboard, but nothing works within the usbs. Tht meant that i couldn't log back on after my system restore because I couldn't type my password in. Then, for some stupid reason I went to change the voltage setting which is random and stupid, and now the computer won't even turn on. Please help as I don't want to have to fork out for a new computer. :) Thanks.

2. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

Change the voltage settings back to the standard for your company.

Use a PS/2 keyboard/mouse to type in your password

reinstall your USB controller

3. JPman

JPman Thread Starter

I've changed the volatage setting back and it still won't turn on. :(

4. itsjusme

itsjusme

Do any of the fans or lights come on, do you hear any noise at all when you try to power up? If you had the input voltage set wrong and tried to power up it could have damaged your power supply. Do you have another you can try?

5. JPman

JPman Thread Starter

No sounds, no lights, and other appliances work in the same plug socket. I think the computer has just died. :/ :'(

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You say you set the voltage back - implying that you set it higher, than it should be set at.
    That increase could have fried the Motherboard - Power Supply etc.

7. itsjusme

itsjusme

We are speaking of the power supply in the computer, not your power source(wall socket}. Do you have another computer power supply you can try?

8. JPman

JPman Thread Starter

No, I put the voltage setting down to 115V, so I don't know what's happened. And no, I don't have another, I'll just have to send it off to be fixed. Thanks for trying to help though, really appreciated :)

9. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

please mark as solved if so

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

11. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

higher would

12. Bernardo

Bernardo

Of course, that is a given.........

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

So you set the Power supply to run on 115V then plugged it into 230V. Which is a higher voltage.
    If you are lucky, you only blew the fuse in the power supply, and didn't fry it, or any other hardware in the system.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice