1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Umountable Boot Volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Velmarg, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velmarg

Velmarg Thread Starter

Hi. This is my first time posting on a tech forum of any sort... It's a long one too (or maybe it's not, since I have no point of reference), so bear with me.

I have an older Compaq Presario (2002, I think) with Windows XP. I went to turn on my computer this morning, and I'm getting a blue screen that gives me this error.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I read somewhere about this: "If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged."

...and that's indeed the case.

Whenever I've run into a problem like this in the past, I've always fallen back on my Compaq recovery CD, with its Factory Restore option - this time, however, there is a lot of stuff on my hard drive that I don't want to lose.

I visited microsoft.com, and their solution was to restart the computer to the "Recovery Console," which, unless I'm reading things incorrectly, requires that you start the computer with your Windows XP CD. That's my problem; when I bought my computer, it came with Windows XP installed. I don't have a Windows XP CD - nor do I know anyone that does.

Is there any way I can repair this hard drive without having that CD? I really don't want to have to resort to the Factory Restore option. On the other hand, there are a lot of things I need this computer for, and if I don't find another solution soon, I won't have much choice.

One last thing; my Compaq recovery CD has an option to create a Windows Emergency Diskette. Will that help me? I've never seen mention of it in all the help and support files and posts I've read through over the past hour or so, but just now thought of it as I finished this.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Most likely your file system is damaged and could be the sign of a dying hard drive. You need to run checkdisk. That means you need to an XP cd, they are for sale, and look at all the money you saved when you bought your Compaq because yo9u didn't have to pay for it? Or was that Compaq that made the $? You just hit reason # 1 for not buying a branded computer unfortunately. You might be able to tap F8 as you push the power button and go in to safe mode to run checkdisk though...not positive if f8 is the right one though on a Compaq.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

3. Velmarg

Velmarg Thread Starter

I ended up just cleaning off the computer. Thanks, though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice