1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Un-partition Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flowers, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flowers

flowers Thread Starter

I have a 40 gig HD I was running Me
    I partititioned it with partition magic 6
    Into a 25 and 15 blocks
    I then installed Xp onto both partitions
    I now want to delete the 15 partition to get back to a straight 40 gig disk
    I tried …
    How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

To delete a partition or logical drive:
    Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK
    In the console tree, click Disk Management
    In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition or Delete Logical Drive
    Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the partition or logical drive. The partition or logical drive is deleted.

When istart up my computer I still get the option of partition A or B and my 25 gig partition is NOT now 40
    Any thoughts please Mark
    UK

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to use Partition Magic to expand the 25GB partition to the full drive, deleting a partition does not attach the free space to an existing partition and ther are no tools in Windows XP to expand your other partition.

To get rid of the boot menu you need to modify the boot loader. The easiest way would be to go to Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG and press ENTER. Then click on the BOOT.INI tab and click the Check All Boot Paths button. Hopefully it will realsise that one of the paths is incorrect and remove the entry.

3. flowers

flowers Thread Starter

Thanks
    So have to buy partition magic to get my old HD back
    Bugger

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Or use another partitioning tool. You can Google for some free ones.

Partition Magic 6 doesn't work with NTFS5 that Windows XP uses but if you formatted in Fat32 you might be able to still use it - not sure on that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice