1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access External HardDrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by romenmiles, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romenmiles

romenmiles Thread Starter

I have read some other threads regarding this same issue, some sound quite similar.
    External Hard Drive - connected by USB port 2.0
    Windows recognises that USB Mass Storage Device Drive has been connected - however it does not show in My Computer as a drive.
    Computer Management - Disk Management does not list it as an available drive.
    Device Manager lists it as a drive - and device is working properly.

How do I get access to the drive to recover of anything from it using any data recovery software?

2. chrome57

chrome57

It is not available, as it is not in a file system available to your operating system (it is raw or another system). Using Disk Management you can Format in NTFS and the the system will allot it a drive letter and make it available

3. romenmiles

romenmiles Thread Starter

This drive has been running successfully for some time - if I format it again - am I going to loose all the data?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice