1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Access Internet After Installing Drivers

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Beksters, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beksters

Beksters Thread Starter

Please can someone help me? I've somehow managed to knock out my internet connection to my PC and laptop. I think it may have something to do with installing drivers as the Aero and transparency effects on my laptop seemed to disappear, so I downloaded a driver from the nvidia site which solved the problem. Around the same time I installed Driver Robot on my PC and ended up downloading and installing the many recommended drivers, 10 at a guess, one was nvidia. I'm making the assumption that these drivers are the cause for my connectivity issues as this is all I can think of that the two have in common. My ethernet cables have been checked and it doesn't appear to be a router problem as the internet on the computer upstairs is working fine. I have tried my cable in the other ports but it doesn't make any difference. I have also tried System Restore to a point before I installed the drivers but I still can't get it to work. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has even the slightest clue as how to go about fixing this. I feel like a right idiot!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Get drivers for integrated devices from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site. Get drivers for other devices from the device manufacturer's web site.

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.

(4 through 7 are really tied, and with Windows 7 the Windows Update should be at least 4th. The main message is that the first three are almost always to be preferred.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice