1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access Internet from laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brianmulligan, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brianmulligan

brianmulligan Thread Starter

Hi

If anyone can assist me with this problem it would be most appreciated.

Up until last week I had no problem in accessing the Internet on either my home PC or laptop but for some reason I can no longer do so from the laptop.

Both computers run Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and the main PC is connected to a Belkin router. I used to access the Internet on the laptop wirelessly without problem.

When I boot up the laptop I can connect to the home network but not to the Internet. If I connect the laptop directly to the router I can then access the Internet.

When I run the Manual Diagnostics Tool in Intel Pro Set Wireless Help it passes all tests except the Ping Test which indicates "No response:default gateway" but I don't understand what this means.

If anyone has any ideas I would gladly try them?

Brian.

2. fgdn17

fgdn17

try this: unplug power from your router...count to 30..., plug power
    back into the router...wait for it all to sync up then try the wireless again

Good Luck

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

try this first
    turn off the laptop
    uplug the modem and the router from the wall {ac outlet}
    wait 1 minute
    plug in the modem wait at least a minute...some can take a while to do their thing.
    Plug in the router and give it a minute or so too.
    Now power up the laptop and see what happens.
    this will usually fix this problem most od the time as long as none of the settings have been changed.

4. fgdn17

fgdn17

didn't I just say that??? LOL

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I was writing my post then had a phone call then came back and finished.so i got to never see yours

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

7. brianmulligan

brianmulligan Thread Starter

Hi all

Thanks to those who replied to my problem dated 23 March and apologies for not getting back to you sooner but I was taking some rays in Portugal since then!

When I arrived back yesterday I tried the laptop again and hey presto I was able to connect to the Internet, no problem, even without trying any of the suggestions received. One of those unexplainable glitches that arise from time to time, I guess.

In any event, many thanks for your efforts.

Regards.

Brian.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the [​IMG] button at the top of the first page of the thread in the upper left corner.© :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice