1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access Microsoft and some antivirus websites

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Pepper_Thyme, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pepper_Thyme

Pepper_Thyme Thread Starter

Aug 12, 2011
    I found an earlier thread here that sounded like a similar problem to mine: http://forums.techguy.org/virus-oth...16-solved-cant-access-microsoft-websites.html

... but as it was old and said not to follow the instructions listed for they for that specific user; I thought it better to start a new thread.

So, here's the entire problem. I have Windows XP, and I just purchased a new webcam, a LifeCam HD-5000. When I went to do the setup I received the error message:

"Setup cannot continue because you are not connected to the Internet or the server is unavailable. Connect to the Internet and then run Setup again. During the setup process, accept any related security or firewall messages. If this is unsuccessful, please try again later."

Obviously I am connected if I'm here, so when I attempted to go to microsoft looking for tech support I found that I couldn't access any of their pages. I am also unable to access symantec.com as the previous user stated in the earlier thread I found.

I also attempted to download HijackThis from the link provided in the sticky, but I can't access antivirus.com either.

Any help would be appreciated with this =(

Oh, here's my system info also:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1022 Mb
    Graphics Card: RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 147761 MB, Free - 42478 MB; F: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 148068 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0HJ054, , ..CN6986164E17FB.
    Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1012084