1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access microsoft.com or update windows

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by wingman23, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wingman23

wingman23 Thread Starter

Hello,
    First off the computer in question is my parents, one of them got a virus associated with aol, whenever one tried to sign into an aol email account it would automatically redirect to a page asking for credit card information, google searches related to the virus were also redirected.

I was able to back up what they wanted to keep and then formatted the hard drive and did a fresh install of windows xp from the dell disc that came with the computer, I installed the drivers off of the dell resource cd that also came with the computer. The problem is the version of xp is sp1 and I need to update so their printer, etc work, when trying to use windows update or go to any microsoft.com related website I get a "server not found" error, I was able to access microsoft.com by entering the ip address and also by using aol software. I was also not able to access malwarebytes.org but was able to download, install, update and run a scan which found 16 items. Most other websites come up just fine.

I really need help on this one I assumed that formatting and doing a fresh install would take care of any problems but there seems the be something lingering on here.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice