1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access My Computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Summertime, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Summertime

Summertime Thread Starter

Hello everyone! Since installing a new printer I am unable to access My Computer, I freeze. I cannot click on Search, I freeze. I can only type three letters into me address bar, then I freeze. I have trouble shutting down and restarting.
    My computer was custom-built by a friend. I am running WindowsMe.
    Had a HP 612 C printer....installing a HP 750.
    Did not uninstall the 612 before installing the 750. Did not uninstall the Umax scanner either.
    My son installed a new USB card...Lucent 4 plug-ins
    He could not remove the existing USB card with 2 plug-ins.
    He plugged the printer into this one. The printer worked. I was able to access My Docs., I printed out a Word doc. Scanned pics, too.
    Then I realized I could not access My Computer.
    I tried System Restore......no luck. But I have been wondering about it for some time now.
    I went to Norton's site and updated my virus protection. Then I scanned my computer.
    I went to the Window's update site......it said I needed a driver update which I did. Deagate Removable Storage Solutions LLC-Storage.
    I have uninstalled the 612 printer
    I have uninstalled the 750 printer
    I have uninstalled the Umax scanner
    I have disabled System Restore
    I checked out Device Manager--not really sure what I am doing here--but everything checked out "Device working properly."
    I am able to go online, access web pages, My Favorites, and use OE.
    At present---the only thing plugged into the new USB car is my burner...........this does not work. The only thing plugged into the old USB card is my camera.......it works.
    Please help.......thanks!

2. Hairy

Hairy

Welcome to TSG, Summertime....

Does Restore not work, or did it restore but not help?

does it work ok in Safe Mode? (hold "Control" key while restarting, choose safe mode from the menu...restart afterwards to boot normal)

3. Summertime

Hi, and thanks for responding!

When I used Restore it took soooooo long the screen went black. There was a small flahing white box in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. At that point I have to restart by clicking on the Restart button. When the screen came back up the Restore window was there, it said No changes were made.
    I tried holding the Control key down like you said....first I tried clicking on the Start button/Shut Down/Restart........I got the black screen with the flashing little box. Next, I tried the Restart key and the Control key.....got into the Dos, but it didn't change anything when I rebooted.

4. Hairy

Hairy

go to start
    to run
    type <B>msconfig</B>
    ok
    advanced
    put a check in
    "Enable Startup Menu"
    ok
    ok
    now when you restart you will see the screen to choose safe mode

5. Summertime

Sorry, it took me so long to get beck to you....got lost in Dos mode!Yikes! What exactly do you want me to do in there? I end up with the Safe Mode Trouble Shooter.

6. Hairy

Hairy

'tis ok.....

close the troubleshooter

try opening My Computer...searching....the stuff that wasn't working (except the internet stuff)

BTW - to exit true DOS...control alt delete to restart, is the easiest way

7. Summertime

I'm sorry, I really don't understand what you are asking me to do.
    I can't access My Computer. The window will open but nothing is showing.

8. Hairy

Hairy

it does this even while in safe mode?

9. Summertime

Oh my, ok, I will go try and let you know what happens.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    did these problems start after installing the new usb card? If so try removing the card and the drivers for it. Also go to add/remove programs in the control panel and uninstall the any software that came with either printer or the scanner. Next go to the system icon in control panel, then device manager and remove all usb devices, any printers and any scanners, as well as any devices listed as unknown, disabled, or labelled other. I would recommend doing this in safe mode. Then with the new usb card removed, restart the computer. install any devices found and restart. If all works well turn of the computer and install the usb card - but don't attach anything to yet. Install the drivers of the card. Then try installing usb devices one by one following the instructions they came with. If these problems just happened out of the blue then i would suggest checking your computer for a virus - actually i would that anyway.

11. Summertime

For Hairy, Yes, I was able to access My Computer when in dos.
    Triple6, Wow...........I think I will need to have my son back to uninstall the card and driver. I'm in over my head here. I thought I could handle this without bothering him. He's a great guy, he won't mind. Thanks for all your help. I will let you both know how it goes.

12. Hairy

Hairy

That's good

you can go back to msconfig and take that check out after it's fixed (enable startup menu)

I suspect some program is running at startup that's messing things up.

Go back to msconfig
    to startup
    selectively start unchecking things, one at a time - restart and try to open My Computer

Leave alone Scanregistry and SystemTray

It may take a while.....

13. Summertime

Thanks Hairy, I'll try that!

14. Summertime

Hello Hairy, A very long time! Nothing changed. I noticed I have NProtect C:/Program Files/ Norton SystemWorks/Norton Utilities/nprotect.exe listed twice. Can you tell me how to eliminate one?

15. Hairy

Hairy

it's supposed to be like that...it loads twice, once to check your boot up , then it stays resident

How about going back into Device manager, while you're in Safe mode and looking for things that there are more than one of (that you know you don't have)

You'll probaly have a lot of USB stuff, so just don't worry about that now.

Son back yet?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice