1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access one website

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ITimms, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ITimms

ITimms Thread Starter

Hi,

I am hoping you can help me out. I am unable to access the site www.afford.com (alternatively afford.com or 24.249.218.80).

We have two other computers in the house using the same router and security software (verizon) and they can get to it just fine using Firefox, but my main computer cannot. We are all running XP. Tried using both IE and Firefox tp see if it made a difference. Firefox loads a blank page and IE just says the page in unavailable.

I tried several things based on advice I saw in other searches, including clearing all the temp files, resetting the DNS, doing a netsh winsock reset, setting the firewall to see it as a trusted site and specifying that it could send cookies (though I don't know if it needs to). Host file only lists the default that comes with the system (local host). Also disabling the firewall does nothing. None of these measures has been necessary on the other computers and they display the site just fine. :confused:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I need to use this site to pay my son's monthly college bills and it would be much more convenient to do it from the computer where I do my bookkeeping.

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Just maybe this applies to you. Thought I would throw it out.

SOME SITES DO NOT RECOGNIZE IE 7 AS LATEST BROWSER

Some web sites are disigned to identify internet Explorer 6 as the latest version of IE. WHen you use IE7 to visit these Web sites,the Web sites incorrectly identify it as an outdated version.
    There is a free tool to work around this. The tool creates a browser window that emulates IE6,tricking the Web site into playing nice. Free here. go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=70356To use it,double-click the User Agent string Utility icon. C Lick "just change my settings." click "change setings".

3. TOGG

TOGG

I'm not sure why only one of your computers is having problems because when I queried the server at afford. com I got this result;

"Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: www.afford.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 24.249.218.80
    Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    The server returned the following response headers:
    HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
    Server: HTTP Proxy/1.0
    Connection: Close
    Content-Length: 0
    Query complete."

I'm not ceratin what 'Moved Temporarily' actually means, but it does suggest the site is having problems.

When I clicked on the link you provided, my Opera browser produced this warning;

"The servers certificate chain is incomplete and the signer(s) are not recognised. Accept?'

This message may only be due to Opera's specific security settings because the certificate signer is Verisign. Did you get the recent Root Certificates update from Windows Updates?

4. ITimms

ITimms Thread Starter

Since I also tried getting to the website with Firefox which works on the other computers in the house and only tried IE (newest version which I think is 8) as a second and last resort, I don't think that is the issue here. But thanks for your input.

5. ITimms

ITimms Thread Starter

the odd thing is that the other two computers running the same software and using the same router are having no issues. I will check on the update but my computer is set for automatically updating all software so my guess is that it is there unless it is something that you specifically have to choose. I am not getting any security messages, only blank screens or not available messages. I can immediately go to the other computer and bring the site up.

6. andrewl6044

andrewl6044

Hmm...definately sounds like a PC issue to me, since you can bring the site up on your other PCs but not this one. Since you're running XP, you should try a system restore back to a day where you know that the website was working. I doubt this issue would be within your router/modem, since the others are working fine.

7. ITimms

ITimms Thread Starter

actually I already did a restore to a point last week, though I don't know if the website would have worked then or not since this week was the first time I tried to access it. Other than that, it is a total guess as to whether it worked on this computer ever. :confused:

8. TOGG

TOGG

The Root Certificate update I installed earlier this month actually came out in May but, as it was Optional and I use the 'Custom' option at Windows Update (no Automatic Updates), I didnt install it until 7th July. Do you have an update KB 931125 in the Add/Remove list of the affected computer or in your Update History at the Updates site?

9. ITimms

ITimms Thread Starter

I installed that update for the Root Certificate (the May one) earlier but it didn't make any difference. I also checked to see that I had the latest XP updates installed and they are. I did a trace on this computer and the one that can access the site. Both are showing exactly the same results and yet this computer cannot get to the website and the other one can. I also ran virus and spyware checks on this computer and it showed nothing in either case. Both computers are running the same security software and the same browsers.

10. TOGG

TOGG

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help with your problem. Opera still thinks the site's certificate chain is somehow incomplete so that it isn't secure enough to pass confidential information, but the site it isn't classified as malicious or fraudulent.

My copies of IE and Firefox can access the site without problems The URL automatically changes to 'https' and the little padlock duly appears, indicating that the connection should be secure.

If you check the settings in Firefox on the affected computer (Tools/Options/Advanced and then 'Encryption') are both the boxes checked by 'Use SSL 3.0' and 'Use TLS 1.0'? I think those are default settings so they shouldn't have changed unless they were amended for some specific reason.

Sometimes, difficulty with a single site can be traced to a Hosts file, but you seem to have already eliminated that possibility.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice