1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access owner's data after motherboard change-WindowsXP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Izafreya, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izafreya

Izafreya Thread Starter

My motherboard fried(possibly because of the fan stopping),and I had to get a new one-that's where the problems began.First,there was a problem with the administrator password,which nobody using the computer put in,but my friend got around that,and then blue screen and not possible to access the computer,which was owner's password protected.The message is"access denied".My friend made an image of the drive,and then tried to reinstall windows,do the recovery console,but it's not possible.The way it is now is that there is user account with the same name that it was owner's name,but there is nothing there which was password protected.The hard drive had 40 GB,of which I've used about 37 GB,and I had about 2 and some GB left,but now it shows that there is about 35 GB used and about 4GB free,but only about 10GB is accessible.How can I access my harddrive when it denies the user's password,which worked fine before the crash and motherboard change?I believe that my friend said that there is too many hardware changes and windows doesn't recognize it. :confused:
    Any ideas will be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot with your xp cd [cd set as first boot device in the bios] Choose install from the first menu. The next menu will show any previous xp installs and give you the option to repair the install. Choose your original xp install and let it repair for you.

After a repair install you will need to reinstall all updates, service pack 2, etc.

BTW you cannot just change a mb and expect the system to boot. Sometimes it will and sometimes it will not. If proprietary chipset / mb drivers were installed, it will not boot.

3. DCreature

DCreature

I'd say leave out SP2 with a number of problems happening around at the moment, true they do make life great to some ppl, but it also give some others hell.

As to something that your friend said about hardware changes, Windows XP will ask you to re-activate your copy of Windows XP because Mr.Gates wakes up one day and thought it was a good idea to lock people out of their own computers if they decide to change hardware too many times or when 5H17 happens like your computer.

Getting a copy of XP Corporate and install over it might help you, otherwise, try pull out your HDD and set the jumper as slave then stick it into ANOTHER Windows 2K / XP computer as a slave drive, then boot up that computer, see if it will detect that HDD of yours, then copy important files over then kill your Windows XP and install fresh.

Another solution I used before when there was unrecoverable error, cant install over, cant format, cant do ANYTHING at all :) was to use PartitionMagic to resize the partition, create new partition, install another copy of XP on to the new partition, boot machine with the new partition, copy files from old partition to new partition, then delete the old partition, and resize the new partition to full size of HDD. Problem solved.

Goodluck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!