1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access shared files over network after period of time.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by srmorris2, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. srmorris2

srmorris2 Thread Starter

First off, this is my first post, looks like a great place! I have tried 2 other forums and no luck, so lets hope you guys can help!

Now, at my work, we have a small network with computers sharing files between the others. I have attached a network diagram to help explain this better.

Our Win7 machine is our main computer that shares an external hard drive with much information that the other computers need to access. What we have noticed is either after a sleep, or even a period of time of say, 2 hours, those files are no longer able to be accessed. The Win7 machine is still sharing them, but the WinXP machines are unable to access them anymore and my Mac can see the computer is unable to connect to the folders. I have gone and attempted to get some help over at Microsofts site but that was a fail. Here is the link to the forum post there. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...8-b9335ed3cd9f

A member there gave me this:
    I attempted those and no luck. This problem is still occurring and the only way we can fix it is by restarting the Win7 machine. But even if it is being used, we have no idea when those files are unable to be accessed.

*I will add that the Win7 machine is still able to access the other computers when this problem occurs if that helps.
    **The Win7 machine is a Dell T3500 running Windows 7 64bit. I can provide specific hardware if needed. The drivers are all up to date as of yesterday.

Thanks for any help that anyone may have for me!

Steve

Attached Files:

2. srmorris2

srmorris2 Thread Starter

So upon looking in the Windows XP machine, both of the folders from the Win7 machine disappear once this problem occurs in the My Network Places folder. And one folder is on the internal drive, one is on external. The computers are in this situation now where I am unable to access them. The Win7 machine can read and write from the other computers, but the other computers can even see the Win7 Machine.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are these machines connected by wire or wireless?

Since you are sharing a external drive check to make sure that the power settings allow it to be waken when the Windows 7 machine goes to sleep.

4. srmorris2

srmorris2 Thread Starter

Wired.

And the Win7 machine shares a folder on the external and internal. When the connection goes down neither folders can be seen.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Turn OFF all sleep and hibernation on the Windows 7 machine. Run it this way for a while, if the problem goes away, then we have a avenue to address.

6. srmorris2

srmorris2 Thread Starter

Already tried. Still having this problem

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/932493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice