1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Access TightVNC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kelseyferl, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kelseyferl

kelseyferl Thread Starter

I'm trying to allow access to TightVNC (and a few other things) through the internet but having some issues, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I can access it fine from inside the network but when I try with my internet IP or a DDNS it doesn't connect. I've tried opening the port, changing it around and the likes, with no success.

I'm guessing its something as simple as a setting on the router or modem, or the fact that they don't play that nice together. Can I maybe not access it from the internet because I am on the network trying to be accessed?

On a possibly related note the modem is not hooked to the WAN port on the router, no matter what settings I try I can't get the router to dial the modem. I've posted a (badly drawn) diagram of the physical layout of the network below.

Specs:
    VNC Server: Win XP Pro SP3
    Router: Linksys WRT150N
    Modem: Speedstream 5100

[​IMG]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're sure you forwarded the correct ports in the Speedstream 5100?

3. kelseyferl

Its got some SBC firmware applied to it, and going through all the menus I wasn't able to find any port forwarding options. I did double check the linksys to make sure and everything is kosher there.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said that you are not using the Linksys as a router: "On a possibly related note the modem is not hooked to the WAN port on the router." No need to port forward on it.

The Speedstream modem/router and the Linksys both default to 192.168.0.x for the LAN, which is why you cannot cascade them (unless you change the LAN addresses for one of them). Anyhow, you need to port forward on the Speedstream or bridge it to act as a modem only and use the Linksys as a router.

5. kelseyferl

I've changed the IP of the Linksys, 192.168.0.2. Modem is still default 192.168.0.1.

I've got the PCs set to manual configuration too, with a gateway of 192.168.0.1. When I switch it to .2 it doesn't work, as the router has no internet to pass on?

Would this still potentially cause issues?

I still want to get the modem to be controlled by the router, as the router is intended to do that, but every time I try the modem seems to connect and the router won't share the access. Still kinda leaning towards this being the problem, as its probably trying to portforward the WAN and can't? Current the Linksys is set to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP." When I switch it to PPPOE and then tell the modem to pass on control it freaks and I have to connect directly to the modem to fix it.

Thanks again man :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's correct. The Linksys is not being used as a router. It is being used only as an ethernet switch and wireless access point.

7. kelseyferl

So then back to the goal of getting the Linksys to control the modem. Don't really have anything better to do at the moment anyways. :p

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That doesn't compute. I've never heard the phrase and have no idea what it might mean.

9. kelseyferl

It to dial the PPPOE in other words.

Regardless I've got the Linksys controlling the PPPOE of the modem, Though I will say pages seem to load a tiny bit slower and I've had to restore factory defaults on the router to get this far.

Edit: Well whatever had it working has stopped. The modem's "Internet" light was out and I couldn't find any way to get the modem to sign on to the service.

Is it also normal for the modem to be inaccessable when plugged into the WAN port? Both the Linksys and Speedstream have different (default) IPs.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As I've said before both routers default to 192.168.0.x addresses for LAN. You will have little if any luck connecting one of them to the other's WAN port unless you change either of them to use a different IP range; say, 192.168.3.x.

11. kelseyferl

I'll try it with 192.168.3.x series, but is there really a difference between 192.168.1.x and 192.168.3.x? If there is its underlying and I don't get it. :p

12. kelseyferl

Well the Linksys is set to 192.168.3.1, the DHCP is assigning 192.168.3.100 - 115 and it seems to be working OK.

Its created a new problem and hasn't really solved the old. New problem is that my laptop seems to be isolated from accessing the rest of the network, but can be accessed by the other computers. (Edit: This just seemed to solve itself some how, I can now access the other computers via Windows Explorer)

TightVNC and a Web GUI I use won't work from inside or outside the network at this point, having actually worsened that situation.

I switched off NAT on the router to see what happens, instant loss of internet. As far as I figured I didn't think I needed NAT enabled?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No difference. I don't suggest 0, 1 , 2 or 254 as the 3rd digit only because routers commonly default to those. 3 is unusual, so to my way of thinking it alerts a trouble shooter that there is something atypical about the total network.

I don't know for sure what that means, so can't really comment. If it means putting the router into access point mode I would expect the computers to then get an IP configuration from the Speedstream and regain internet access. Unless the computers had static IP configurations.

14. kelseyferl

Ah sweet, definitely remembering that.

I don't really understand NAT all that well in general, know that it can cause issues with gaming at colleges and the like but never really thought it applied to a network consisting of maybe 10 wifi devices at any giving point.

Just messed with our HP wireless printer (C309A i think) and its connected fine right now.

So far its at least a step in the right direction. Think I'm gonna play with the Windows settings on this laptop and the desktop, can't see if I can get em talking again. A quick glance at both their settings to me seems like they shouldn't have any problem at all.

Here is the window that pops up when i try to access the desktop. I've never seen it before, and no combination of this computers username/password or the desktops username (no password on it) will let me access it.

[​IMG]

I was going to try and unjoin/rejoin the Homegroup but since XP doesn't use it I have a feeling it isn't to blame. When I ran the shared folder diagnostic tool (which I had no idea Win7 had) it said I had no permission on G, one of the shared drives. Double checked that there was sharing permission but it made no difference.

15. kelseyferl

Another step forward!

I've got access to shared files/folders, TightVNC and the Web GUI all local.

Now to get at them from outside the network. I ran an online port checker and all the ones I've told the router to open were reported as closed.

Also, would there be any reason for 192.168.3.100 to be a bad IP address? The DHCP assigned a different address this time and it gave me access (192.168.3.106). Regardless I changed the DHCP range from 100-115 to 101-115.

edit: One more step forward, I temporarily turned on the Linksys remote access and was able to get at it from the internet side.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice