1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access Workgroup 2PC net

Discussion in 'Networking' started by todd831, Aug 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. todd831

todd831 Thread Starter

I have 2 PC's both running XP Pro. I have a Lynx's Wireless router model BEFW11S4. I have one computer with EtherFast 10/100 Lan Card and 1 PCI wireless card. Both computers connect to the internet via the Lynx's cable modem. I am able to connect to the internet with no problems on both computers.
    The problem is that I am unable to connect to the workgroup on each computer. I go to network places and show workgroup computers and it tells me that the workgroup is not available, and that I may not have permissions to access that workgroup. Whats weird is that on the wireless computer, in the system tray it shows that the computer is connected to the workgroup. Although when the wireless PC comes up, it does not make the connection to the workgroup until I manually connect. It says because the WEP setting is not set, it won't auto connect. So I configured the WEP setting, and the PC would not even connect to the internet then.

My goal is to be able to share files on each computer in the shared files folder and the printer on the wireless computer and make sure both can connect to the internet. I have gone to the share files and security and made the shared documents folder shared, and I still can't see anybody. I am also unable to see the other computer from the computer I am on.

Please give detailed instructions or questions.

Thanks.

2. Akito

Akito

Make sure the windows xp firewall is turned off in the "Local Area Connection" properties - this _might_ fix it.

3. todd831

todd831 Thread Starter

Sorry but that did not work

4. Akito

Akito

Have you tried pinging the other computer?

for example: ping 10.10.10.2

5. todd831

todd831 Thread Starter

I am unable to ping each machine from the other.

I have checked all names of each computer and workgroup name, and that is all good.

Like I said before, the wireless PC does eventually connect to the workgroup, but I am unable to view the workgroup when I go to show workgroups. Thats when it tells me I don't have permission.

I believe this to be the reason why I can't share files back and forth. I have done the share properties thing on the shared files folder. Still nothing..

This makes no sense to me....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/154274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice