1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to access workgroup computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pjfromny, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pjfromny

pjfromny Thread Starter

I have connected two Win XP computers through a hub. ICS seems to be wrking, but one computer (B) is unable to access the other computer (A). Computer A is able to ful ly access computer B. I have turned off simple file sharing, but cannot set permissions so that a user of B can access A. When I look for users in locations, only the local computer and user are available. How do I set permission for the user on the other computer?

2. cruze5

cruze5

make sure workgroup is the same. turn OFF internet connection firewall.
    close all firewall software, uninstall actually.. make sure you have folders shared on both comptuers!

3. pjfromny

pjfromny Thread Starter

Done all that. I believe the problem is somewhere in the user/group permissions. When I try to make changes in the security policy it tells me that it failed to save local security policy.

4. mfinnell

mfinnell

Do both show up in network neighborhood of the other

5. pjfromny

pjfromny Thread Starter

Yes, both computers show in the workgroup. Computer B can ping A and can see it using net view as well, But to click on the computer icon in the workgroup returns as error that A is not accessible.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All machines are must be in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.0.x where x is any number. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 for most small networks.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

7. pjfromny

pjfromny Thread Starter

I turned off firewall. I checked IP and subnet masks. Ping and Net view are both successful. Workgroup designation is fine, F/PS are enabled, lots of folders are designated as shared. I've used both simple sharing and not. I added the same user account to the inaccessible computer.

Still no access?

When I go into local security policies (on the inaccessible computer), and click on "Access this computer from Network" the only visible permissions are from the local computer. I can use the find feature and locate the other computer (B). When I try to add it however, it says "Failed to Save Local Policy Database." I cannot locate users or groups from the other computer, but only the other computer by name.

Is this likely the problem? Are there other security settings to look at?

8. SP9999

SP9999

What firewalls are you using, some firewalls do not quite turn off when they say they do, you may have to uninstall firewalls, build your LAN then reinstall them.

9. pjfromny

pjfromny Thread Starter

Its just the windows firewall for an internet connection.

10. pjfromny

pjfromny Thread Starter

I have tried to modify local security settings but the error message returns "failed to save local policy database." I can find the other computer in the workgroup, but not seem to give it permission to access the first computer.

Also, should I be looking at IP Security settings?

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It sounds like the C: drive may not have SYSTEM enabled with full access rights, take a look at that.

12. pjfromny

pjfromny Thread Starter

I'm looking at C: properties. Sharing is enabled. Under security I have groups Administrators, Creater/owner, Everyone, System, Users.

I have no changed any of the permissions for those groups. There's nothing checked under allow or deny for Everyone; Users have Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read marked as allow. But the other computer can't even access a list of the folders that are marked as shared. The drive on the computer is partitioned; both drives have the same permissions set.

13. prashax

prashax

Well have you tried checking by turning OFF the windows FireWall. If not pls do so.

14. pjfromny

pjfromny Thread Starter

yes, have turned off the firewall

15. bizzt

bizzt

NTFS or Fat32?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/265515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice