unable to add printer drivers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deltaq

Hello All
This is my first post so please bear with me as I am not the brightest bulb alight !!!
This is my computer woe ...
I have a old Lexmark printer 1100 series, am using XP proffesional OS, I have found drivers for this printer which I have downloaded to my C: drive, the problem I have is that when I try to install the drivers using "add printer wizard" every time I try to install I get message "hardware not installed because the wizard cannot find nessarry software" along the bottom start bar a message "new hardware found" appears so from that I am guessing that I have downloaded the drivers correctly.
One piece of info I need to say is that I have loaded the XP OS from a cd about a month back as I had a total failure could not work the pc at all, prior to that failure this printer worked 100% o.k.
Maybe I need to tick a box somewhere or maybe more complex, I like to solve problems myself but have run out of any ideas so am throwing myself at your mercy for some help here please.
Thanks you for any advice/help.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Hello All
This is my first post so please bear with me as I am not the brightest bulb alight !!!
This is my computer woe ...
I have a old Lexmark printer 1100 series, am using XP proffesional OS, I have found drivers for this printer which I have downloaded to my C: drive, the problem I have is that when I try to install the drivers using "add printer wizard" every time I try to install I get message "hardware not installed because the wizard cannot find nessarry software" along the bottom start bar a message "new hardware found" appears so from that I am guessing that I have downloaded the drivers correctly.
One piece of info I need to say is that I have loaded the XP OS from a cd about a month back as I had a total failure could not work the pc at all, prior to that failure this printer worked 100% o.k.
Maybe I need to tick a box somewhere or maybe more complex, I like to solve problems myself but have run out of any ideas so am throwing myself at your mercy for some help here please.
Thanks you for any advice/help.
What is the full model name and model number of that Lexmark printer? Is it this printer?

If you downloaded and saved a driver file for that printer, the file name should end with .exe, unless it's in a compressed format. If it ends with .exe, all you have to do is double-click the file to start the install process. There's no need to go through the "add new hardware" wizard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

deltaq

Hello
Thank you both for taking the time and trouble to reply to my problems with adding a downloaded driver.
Just to let you know that I finally managed to install it manually and it works, the picture of the Lexmark printer is the X1100, my one is way older isa just called 11oo colorjet printer, I do not know how old it is but it was for Windows 3.1/95/98 etc so you can tell just how old it is !!!
I only print about 25 pages in a YEAR, so not bothered about having the latest model with every thing on.
Thanks again for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online