unable to add printer on the network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PrancerTran

i am unable to add the printer connected to another computer on the same network
kindly help, thanks.
both the computers are connected to the internet/router wirelessly.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you have printer sharing enabled on the computer that has the attached printer? Is that computer able to print to that printer without any problems?

Do you have the correct printer drivers installed on the other computer?

Beyond that you will either need to wait for a member with clairvoyant powers to assist you or tell us the following:

1) The brand and full model number of the printer.

2) The operating system running on the computer with the connected printer.

3) The operating system running on the computer.

4) Is the printer connected to the computer by a USB cable or some other method?

5) What steps have you taken to add the printer on the other computer?

PrancerTran

Do you have printer sharing enabled on the computer that has the attached printer? Is that computer able to print to that printer without any problems?

yes and eys

Do you have the correct printer drivers installed on the other computer?
yes

Beyond that you will either need to wait for a member with clairvoyant powers to assist you or tell us the following:

1) The brand and full model number of the printer.
epson l 3110

2) The operating system running on the computer with the connected printer.
win 10

3) The operating system running on the computer.
win 10

4) Is the printer connected to the computer by a USB cable or some other method?
usb

5) What steps have you taken to add the printer on the other computer?
it is being used by other wired computers on the same network as well which are printing properly

the only problem is the computer connected wirelessly to the same network which is not able to use it

Oddba11

Jim
Same subnet?

And there are numerous issues when mixing various Windows versions, mostly relating to permissions.

PrancerTran

dont know about the subnet
but the wired computers are able to print to it without any issues

the wired computers are on windows 7
the wirless computer to which the printer is connected to is on windows 10
the wireless computer unable to print to this printer is on windows 10

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
A much better option is to connect the printer to the router as a network printer. No need for any specific computer on the network to be ON. This is the way I setup my home network/printer.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
BTW if you really, really want to accomplish this task as you have outlined, make sure the win10 system has SMB file sharing and SMB direct enabled/installed. Win10 is much more restrictive on security than win7.

PrancerTran

A much better option is to connect the printer to the router as a network printer. No need for any specific computer on the network to be ON. This is the way I setup my home network/printer.
this is not possible
the router is far away
cant change its position

PrancerTran

BTW if you really, really want to accomplish this task as you have outlined, make sure the win10 system has SMB file sharing and SMB direct enabled/installed. Win10 is much more restrictive on security than win7.
no clue what is this at all

have tried searching, havent got any proper result

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
OK, first of all, it is not necessary to quote what I posted unless there is a reason to do so.
Next smb file sharing/smb direct are found under control panel>programs>programs and features>turn windows features ON/OFF
have tried searching, havent got any proper result
You could not have searched too hard since a simple google search returned 137000 results.....

PrancerTran

i got the article. smb1 is in windows features
need to turn on SMB1?

on which computer?
the one connected to the printer or the one not printing to the printer?

PrancerTran

the article i got mentions to keep smb 1 disabled at all times due to ransomware issues

do i need to enable smb2 and smb 3 for this printer purpose?

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
The win10 system. Make sure both are installed/enabled then restart the win10 system. Once you do that, you should be able to find/see the printer on the network. Note it may take a little while before "Seeing" the printer.

Just my opinion however wireless printing is a pretty big security hole in any network; again up to you.
the router is far away
cant change its position
You do understand that you do not have to change the position of the router; you change the placement of the printer. Connect the printer to the router via rj45 and enable wireless printing on the printer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online