1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Attach File in Outlook 2000

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by EmailProb, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EmailProb

EmailProb Thread Starter

Hello!

I have a Pentium II, running Win 98, IE 6.0 and MS Outlook 2000. Whenever I am sending a message FROM Outlook and try to attach a document (drag-n-drop or insert-file) the file does not attach. On the receiving end, the receiver gets a .dat file which can not be converted. To get around this problem I open IE, use the mail feature and drag-n-drop the file. Then, it seems the file attaches as a proper file (jpeg, Word doc, PowerPoint, etc.). Tired of going through IE to attach files! What should I do?

Thanks! Saw your site listed in PC Mag Top Sites. Love it!

EmailProb

2. BigTex

BigTex

Hello EmailProb,

And by all means welcome.

First here are some questions.

What's the name of the .dat file? Are you using MS word as your e-mail editor?

And last but not least. Is there not an attachment icon on your tool bar?

You keep saying drag-n-drop?

3. EmailProb

EmailProb Thread Starter

Thank you for responding so quickly! After searching through a bit of the archives, we may have already hit upon the solution. We were using MS Outlook Rich Text instead of sending email in HTML message format. Would that have caused the problem? Anyhoo, things seem to be attaching directly within MS Outlook.

What's the name of the .dat file? Are you using MS word as your e-mail editor?
    - I believe it is win.dat and no, "use MS Word to edit..." is not clicked.

And last but not least. Is there not an attachment icon on your tool bar?
    -Yes, there is an attachment icon. At the time, using insert-file or the icon did not work.

You keep saying drag-n-drop?
    - I open up the folder with the file I need to attach, then I open IE, use mail-new message, and then I drag the file over from my folder to the email message opened via IE.

Thanks again!
    :)

4. Drew7997

Drew7997

any body ever figure this out? I'm on the receiving end of a similar problem. I keep getting win.dat files from my cousin who by the way is MCSE and CISCO cert. just haven't asked him yet, figured it be on here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice