1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to boot from encrypted hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mavross, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mavross

Mavross Thread Starter

Warning: I am going to try to add as much detail as possible to this post

tl;dr - After updating to the latest version of Windows 10, I can no longer boot off of my hard drive.

So, I bought my Lenovo Y700 14" Laptop (Y700-14ISK) laptop with a 460GB hard drive, no SSD, and with Windows 10 Home. I've had a bit of trouble the past year or so, with a few blue screens and a bit of malware, but nothing too bad. My hard drive isn't up to my standards, and can't boot windows very fast, so I bought an SSD the other day. It came today, and I was planning on moving all of my files from my hard drive to my SSD. I started downloading the latest windows update (I'm not sure what version I had before I downloaded it), and installing it. I did it using the media creation tool found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I began downloading it, and I selected keep all my files for everything. The update installed, and required me to shut down my laptop. I did, and started to boot up again. I had set a password for the administrator account, hard drive, and the encryption password for my hard drive. I had encrypted my hard drive with a 64-character password, but I still know the password. Usually I'll receive prompts to enter the passwords, and it'll go in this order: admin password, hard drive password, admin password (again), and the encryption password. Then my computer would boot. But this time, I recieved the first two password prompts (the admin then the hard drive), and my computer ran into an error. The error code was 0x000000f. I tried a bunch of things to try to get to the encryption key password prompt, but I couldn't boot past the hard drive password. I can't do anything on my hard drive either, because I haven't entered the encryption password yet. I'm stuck in a never ending loop basically. Luckily, today I got my new SSD, as mentioned earlier. I'm able to install it into my computer, and have it be recognized, but I haven't done anything to it yet.

I'm hoping to find a way to retrieve my windows product key (it's not on the bottom of my laptop or labeled clearly in BIOS), download a windows 10 ISO file onto a USB (from my sisters computer), and boot from there onto the SSD. Then I would try to use Windows on the SSD to try and unlock my hard drive.

A review of the equipment I have: 1 16GB USB, another laptop running the same operating system, my dads mac (if that would come in handy for some reason, idk), a brand new SSD, and an encrypted hard drive containing all of my files and my operating system (I used VeraCrypt to encrypt it)

I think my solution is somewhat viable, but I'm not sure.

Some specs: My hard drive is ST500LT012-1DG142, I have windows 10 home, my laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Y700-14ISK, my BIOS version is D4CN22WW(v1.03), My boot mode is Legacy (I tried changing it to UEFI and booting but that didn't work, so I'm keeping it on legacy because of another reason which doesn't need to be known), the SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB

More BIOS settings: fast boot is disabled, boot priority is legacy first, USB boot/PXE boot to LAN is on, USB Legacy is on, Wireless LAN is on, BIOS backflash is off, hotkey mode is off, always on USB is on, intel platform trust technology is on, OS optimized defaults is off

I don't have much time to work on my laptop for the next week and a half, because of finals and sports, but I'm able to get on for some time tomorrow (probably). I can get on my phone and read the comments I've gotten on this. Looking for any suggestions possible, thanks! This is probably my worst computer problem yet :/. I'm willing to erase my hard drive, but I REALLY don't want to because I have a lot of photos and videos on there that I would like to keep. I don't have a backup of anything either, unfortunately.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't need a key for Windows 10, it will pull the key from the BIOS and automatically activate when you connect the MS activation server. If the installations asks a key, it probably won't, then just skip that step.

Did you make he VeraCrypt recovery disc?

3. Mavross

Mavross Thread Starter

So I just use my USB to install windows onto my SSD, and it automatically activates it? Or am I getting that wrong? I couldn't make a recovery disk because I don't have a CD drive or anything in my laptop, and if there was some other thing for recovery it's probably on my computer right now, since I wiped my USB a month ago. My own stupidity is kinda killing me right now. If possible, can you explain the steps I should take to recover my hard drive, or at least options to recover it?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, just install it and it should activate.

VeraCrypt allows you to save an ISO, you can than 'burn' that ISO to a USB stick.

You can try installing Veracrypt and mounting the old drive:
    upload_2017-5-31_15-44-11.png

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice