1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Unable to boot in Normal & Safe Modes or from Win XP CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikequest3, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikequest3

mikequest3 Thread Starter

This is an old desktop with Pentium 4 3GHz, 2 GB RAM; running fine without problems.

I wanted to reinstall Avast 17.9 on it & did so. Avast uninstalled, reinstalled, virus definitions updated successfully; & system worked for 2 days normally.

Now, its unable to boot. Before showing Windows XP (loading green bars) screen it just goes black & just sits there; giving no errors.
    While booting in Safe Mode, it just sticks on the Boot Options Menu screen & doesn't go beyond that.
    While booting from CD it again sticks on "Boot from CD Yes / No" screen & doesnt go beyond that.

I am unable to try chkdsk, or any other tools as it doesnt boot from CD. What do I do please advise.
    Thank You
    M

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you can't choose Boot from CD Y/N, then maybe your keyboard has a problem; try another keyboard. Maybe you have to use a PS2 keyboard, as older machines prefer that kind.

3. mikequest3

mikequest3 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying lunarlander.
    I decided to hook the hdd up to another system & copied a list of system files; that fixed the issue.
    As for the cd issue, i've postponed that. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice