1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to boot laptop - lsass.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gpcove, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpcove

gpcove Thread Starter

My laptop died this morning and I'd really appreciate any help from any techies out there. It's about 6 years old and running Windows XP (SP2).

Windows will not boot. I don't know what happened to bring this on as I was out of the room, but I'm hitting an error message of "lsass.exe - Object not found".

What else can I tell you? I've tried running in Safe Mode, but same thing happens (none of the F8 options help matters at all). My cmos settings are fine. I created an XP boot disk on another machine, but can only access a: not c: (if I could get started I'd use Restore to go back to a good configuration from a few days ago).

My biggest problem is that I don't have easy access to another machine with a floppy drive (I'll probably buy a USB connectable one for my home PC after this, just in case).

I've never heard of lsass.exe before, but a quick web search tells me that it's either a Microsoft security program or a Trojan!

As to what brought this on...I did download a couple of trial game downloads from AOL yesterday, which is very unusual for me, but I'm sure they're Kosher. Also, there were some Microsoft Automatic Updates yesterday, but the machine did boot up first thing this morning so I'm not sure if that's an issue.

Any help/hints/directions as to how to proceed would be great. I'm fairly technical, but don't deal with this for a living, so there must be a fair bit I don't know.

Thanks!!!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Opps I am sorry asking for a HijackThis log is not a good idea here since you can not log into the computer I have removed the info.

3. Striker840

Striker840

Is there any way you can put the disk in another machine and pull off your data and then reformat the pc?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice