Unable to boot Windows 10 after CHKDSK

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm assuming you are running EasyBCD in Windows 10.

At the first screen, as in your picture, click on the Edit Boot Menu tab, click on the 3rd entry then on Delete.
You can also change the default OS and the Countdown time if you wish, don't make the countdown less than 3 though.

XP does not understand GPT disks, your 2 screenshots are normal.

I'm glad you found that browser for XP.

rdkapp

I'm assuming you are running EasyBCD in Windows 10.

At the first screen, as in your picture, click on the Edit Boot Menu tab, click on the 3rd entry then on Delete.
You can also change the default OS and the Countdown time if you wish, don't make the countdown less than 3 though.
Yes, I ran it in Win 10. I deleted the 3rd entry and I also renamed "Earlier Version of Windows" to "Windows XP." Worked like a charm -

1590967496532.png

XP does not understand GPT disks, your 2 screenshots are normal.
But it's not a GPT disk. This is my older computer with a non-UEFI BIOS. See screenshot below:

1590966770068.png

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Expand the 'IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers' section as well if it's there please.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I can not see anything wrong in that Device Manager screenshot.

Let's recap

XP is on the WD mechanical drive (3 partitions)
10 is on the SSD (1 partition)
You installed 10 onto the SSD while it was connected to the laptop it is in now.
XP cannot see any files on the 10 drive in Windows Explorer.
Both drives are MBR and both have Sata connectors

Is the above all correct ?

rdkapp

XP is on the WD mechanical drive (3 partitions)
10 is on the SSD (1 partition)
You installed 10 onto the SSD while it was connected to the laptop it is in now.
XP cannot see any files on the 10 drive in Windows Explorer.
Both drives are MBR and both have Sata connectors

Is the above all correct ?
Yes. The only thing I would correct which should have no bearing on anything, is that it is a desktop computer; not a laptop. So, yes, both drives are MBR and connected via SATA directly to the MB.

Also, not to complicate matters, but I would add that the Data drive (the 1 TB mechanical Seagate connected via SATA directly to the MB) that was installed as the data drive for Win 7 and then Win 10 (after upgrade) is seen in XP Disk Management as Disk 2 (L: drive) and does show files in Windows Explorer.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm not sure why this is happening but does it really matter ? You said you don't use XP much and if you want to swap files between 10 and XP you can do that via the 1TB drive.

rdkapp

I'm not sure why this is happening but does it really matter ? You said you don't use XP much and if you want to swap files between 10 and XP you can do that via the 1TB drive.
Correct. I don't use XP much and I can swap files via the 1 TB Data drive. I really wasn't concerned about that. My only concern was whether this could, at some point, result in corruption of the Win 10 drive again, like it did before. :eek::unsure:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There's no way of knowing.

Making an image of the 10 drive and storing it on the 1TB drive would be a good precaution though, so once you have 10 set up and your apps installed we can do that if you wish.

rdkapp

Making an image of the 10 drive and storing it on the 1TB drive would be a good precaution though, so once you have 10 set up and your apps installed we can do that if you wish.
Definitely interested in doing that. However, I've been focusing on cleaning up the XP partition, and it is getting too time consuming for me right now. I would like to move on to getting Win 10 set up and back to the way I want it. So, in the interest of saving time, I looked at the other partitions on the XP drive and I'd like to combine the C: and D: partitions. There is relatively little data on the D: partition (< 2 GB) (see screenshot below) and I'm not even sure how some of it got there. It was maybe when CHKDSK ran that caused the corruption that brought me here. I can easily delete or move the data on D: somewhere else in short order.

1591044449639.png

In doing a little research myself, I know that Disk Management in XP cannot accomplish what I'm wanting to do. Can Disk Management in Win 10 do it safely on the XP drive? I did read that the Unallocated Space must be directly to the right of the partition you want to add it to, so if I make the entire D: partition Unallocated Space, it seems that would be the situation needed to accomplish it, correct? If so, then that leaves me with the question I posed above: Can the Win 10 Disk Management safely reallocate the partitions on the XP drive? If the answer is "no," is there a 3rd party program that can safely accomplish what I'm trying to do?

If I can accomplish this, I can put off cleaning up the XP partition to a future date and return my focus to setting up the Win 10 drive and then imaging it.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm not sure if you can do that in 10.

I use this free program for partition stuff :- https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

If you install that in 10 be careful and Decline any other software offered, it seems to be a 2 step process now with the latest version #12, you get a small download and run that to install the whole program.
When you run it the display is similar to Disk Management.
As you said delete the 2nd partition on the XP drive then resize the XP partition to the right to use the new unallocated space. If you right-click on a partition you get a menu.
I am not sure if it will let you use the unallocated space from a logical partition like that 2nd one straight away, you may have to convert it to Primary first.

Let me know if it can do it as above. It won't actually do anything until you tell it to do any 'operations pending'.

rdkapp

I use this free program for partition stuff :- https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

I am not sure if it will let you use the unallocated space from a logical partition like that 2nd one straight away, you may have to convert it to Primary first.

Let me know if it can do it as above. It won't actually do anything until you tell it to do any 'operations pending'.
I had some trouble with the install (it kept closing or timing out after about 10 seconds) of partition wizard, but after reboot, it installed and I ran it. I was able to successfully delete the entire F: partition, making it Unallocated Space. I was then able to directly add the entire Unallocated Space to the E: drive (the XP boot partition). I don't know whether it still saw the Unallocated Space as a logical partition or not, but it worked without having to convert it to a primary partition.

So, now I want to reassign some drive letters and have a question about doing it with the dual boot situation. Will the reassigned drive letters in each OS have any effect on the other OS? In other words, in XP, if I reassign what is now the E: drive to D:, will that have any effect on that drive in Win 10, and vice versa, if I give that same drive a new drive letter within Win 10? I'm not planning to reassign the Data drive (the 1 TB mechanical), as I know that may cause some problems within Win 10 when it looks for its data.

Also, do you know how I can change the name of my User folder in Win 10? I've seen some tutorials on the web, but some of them give a caveat that it may or may not work. This tutorial makes it seem fairly simple. [Note: when I just posted the link, it embedded the YouTube video right in my reply. Is this normal and okay?]

I figure, if I'm going to do it, now would be the best time before I have much of any data saved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online