Unable to boot Windows 10 after CHKDSK

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think you can change the drive letters when you are running in XP to whatever you want, except for C of course.

In 10 I would leave them alone because you are using 10's boot menu and changing letters might upset that.

I have never tried to change a Username, personally I would leave it as it is, it's purely cosmetic.

Yes it's normal for a YouTube link to embed the actual Video and it's okay to do so.

rdkapp

In 10 I would leave them alone because you are using 10's boot menu and changing letters might upset that
Thanks for the responses. Just for purposes of clarification, I would only be changing the letter of one of the partitions on the XP drive. For example, in XP, I had C:, D:, and E:. The corresponding drives in Win 10 were E:, F:, and G:. After deleting the partition, D: in XP and F: in Win 10 are now gone. I am proposing to: (i) change the remaining E: in XP to D:, and (ii) change the remaining G: in Win 10 to F:. These are the same partitions on the same physical drive, but in different OSes. I am not planning to touch the boot partition drive in either OS. Would that change your answer?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Changing F to E in Windows 10 will be okay.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Would also be ok to change E to D in XP.

rdkapp

Changing F to E in Windows 10 will be okay.
Sorry, I edited my post to: "change the remaining G: in Win 10 to F:," but I knew what you meant, and I'm sure you knew what I meant. It's all good, as the changes were made and everything seems to be working fine.

rdkapp

Okay, I knew the process of setting up Win 10 was going to have some difficulties. So, here's one:

This computer has 2 optical drives (DVD burners). One is IDE and the other is SATA. The SATA drive is my preferred drive. After multiple reboots into XP and 10, I am finding that Win 10 does not recognize the SATA DVD burner unless there is a disc in the drive on bootup. The BIOS sees it. Win XP sees it whether or not there is a disc in the drive on bootup. Win 10 does not. It's as if the optical drive does not exist. I've even tried to put a disc in it after bootup to see if it would then see it and it doesn't. I've also tried unplugging the SATA cable and plugging it back in, but that also was unsuccessful.

Any ideas or thoughts?

rdkapp

See Disk Management screenshot:

1591218888599.png

There is an L: drive that currently has a disc in it, but the disc was not in the drive on bootup.

rdkapp

Unchecking "Hide empty drives" didn't fix the problem. So, I'm working through the methods on the linked website and here's where I am so far:

1. Windows Update - one was available; installed it, but no change
2. DVD drive Firmware Update - one was available; installed it, but no change
3. DVD drive Driver Update - uninstalled and rebooted, but no change
4. Looking at the next step, which was to remove and reinstall IDE/ATAPI Controllers, I launched Device Manager and on the View menu, I clicked "Show hidden devices" and I see this:

1591223985941.png

There is a hidden instance of the problem drive. Could that be the problem? If so, how should I handle it?

And, in case you are wondering, the Multimedia Controller showing the issue, I believe, is a HDTV (digital/analog) Tuner card that works in XP, but there is no driver for it in Win 10. I've spent quite a bit of time in the past trying to resolve that issue and I briefly looked at it the other day and am satisfied that there is still no solution, or at least one that I care to attempt. I can't imagine that it would be the cause of the optical drive issues, but should I disable it in Win 10?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try deleting both instances of the problem drive then restart the PC and see what is there then.

Yes disable the TV card, I doubt it will help with the Optical drive issue but since it doesn't have a driver anyway disabling it will do no harm.

Do you know what the Marvell device is ? If not post the PCI\VEN data (in DM right-click it > Properties > Details > Hardware ID's in dropdown)

rdkapp

I just discovered the Marvell device is a Sata driver so that could be the problem, see here for a download link and install instructions :- https://windowsforum.com/resources/marvell-91xx-sata-controller-6gb-driver-for-windows-10.40/
Yes, the Marvell device is the SATA Controller on the MB.

Should I do this 1st before deleting both instances of the drive in DM?

Additional questions/comments about the linked instruction webpage:
1. It mentions "older Intel chipset motherboards." This is an AMD MB. Should I follow the instructions anyway?
2. It mentions that it will be listed in DM under Storage Controllers. Mine is listed in "Other devices." Under Storage Controllers is: "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller." I'm guessing this could be further indication of a problem, but when updating, I should update it wherever it is sitting in DM, correct? Then, if that fixes it, it will likely be placed under the correct device heading, correct?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes, install the driver first using your Marvell entry under Other Devices, the rest of those instructions are correct.
Even if it doesn't ask you to restart do that anyway.
Then post a new screenshot of Device Manager with the relevant sections expanded please.

rdkapp

Updated the Marvell driver, restarted and here is the screenshot of DM:

1591227479313.png

Both instances of the troubled drive are now hidden (there was no disc in the drive on boot) and it doesn't show in File Explorer either before or after placing a disc in it. The Marvell driver was moved from "Other devices" to "System devices" and not "Storage controllers."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online